Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Why are the refurb iPad WiFi models discounted a bit more than the 3G models? Do you think iPad 2 will have 3G hardware included in all models at the old WiFi prices?

iPhone3GCrazed

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Why are the refurb iPad WiFi models discounted a bit more than the 3G models? Do you think iPad 2 will have 3G hardware included in all models at the old WiFi prices?

I think Apple chose to discount the refurbished Wi-Fi models more than the Wi-Fi + 3G models because most people, I think, would opt for the Wi-Fi only option and the deeper discount adds an extra incentive to purchase.

I think that the iPad 2 will retain the current 6 model lineup (3 Wi-Fi, 3 Wi-Fi + 3G) because Apple can still make more money on the people who want both. As long as there are enough people who are willing to pay an extra $130 for 3G capability, I don't think they will reduce the Wi-Fi + 3G models to the Wi-Fi only prices.

But I could be wrong about everything. :cool:

Last edited:

Dragoro

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2010
I think Apple chose to discount the refurbished Wi-Fi models more than the Wi-Fi + 3G models because most people, I think, would opt for the Wi-Fi only option and the deeper discount adds an extra incentive to purchase.

I think that the iPad 2 will retain the current 6 model lineup (3 Wi-Fi, 3 Wi-Fi + 3G) because Apple can still make more money on the people who want both. They'll probably think, "Why would we include an extra feature (3G capability, in this instance) that people would be willing to pay an extra $130 for?"

Just my opinions... :cool:

That makes no business sense. They would discount those more because they don't sell as fast as the 3G models. If something is selling fast there's no incentive to discount it, and would be bad business to do so. Not sure where you came up with that rational.

iPhone3GCrazed

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
That makes no business sense. They would discount those more because they don't sell as fast as the 3G models. If something is selling fast there's no incentive to discount it, and would be bad business to do so. Not sure where you came up with that rational.

You have a point.

Perhaps Apple decided to discount the Wi-Fi models more heavily because they have a large stock (most often bought = most often returned) of refurbished Wi-Fi models and the more discounted price would move the refurbished stock quicker?

Just a thought...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.