Regain 1-2 GB of Disk space!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macdon401, Sep 28, 2005.

1. macdon401 macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2005
    I have no need for Urdu, or Traditional Chinese in my system, but one thing I didn't think about was all the other Applications and periferals that have tons of other languages built into their apps! Norweigian in my printer, Swedish in ColorSync...the list goes on and on!
    I downloaed this app called Monolingual...Freeware and ran it...takes a bit of time depending on your setup, took about 25 minutes for mine, G5 20" iMac 160GB's, but when you watch what is being taken out that you probably will never use its amazing! I got 1.3 G's of space back!!!! I think it's well worth the 20 or so minutes to it takes! And you will be amazed at what you have in your Mac!!!!!!
    Here's the link, I hope it is of some use...please let me know here on the thread!
  2. skunk macrumors G4

Jun 29, 2002
    Republic of Ukistan
    There's another one I use called De-Localizer, also very good.
  3. stevep macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2004
    and more....

A shareware app called Printer Setup Repair from will remove all the printer drivers in the default OS X installation that most of us never use.
  4. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow, I got 2.6GB back on my G4 PB with Monolingual! Just have to be careful not to remove any of the necessary languages. Read the "README"!
  5. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

Jan 24, 2006
    I checked everything except US English and Britain English or whatever the two options were. Saved a hunge amount of HD space.
  6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Feb 3, 2004
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I like having them on there cause there have been a couple odd situations where I was out somewhere and needed to print something. Luckily, every time I've been there, I just plug the printer in and can print without any driver disks or anything. But I can see if you're short on disk space how that would be useful.
  7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Just about everything I install on my iMac I do custom. With that said I only install English (unless I have to have something else) and I also only install the drivers I need hence I don't put any on my HDD unless it was on an install disc. This saved me a ton of space (2.9GB) as did only installing the language needed.
  8. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

Feb 25, 2006
    What does it mean by Architectures?

What does it mean by Architectures?
    Someone please enlighten me Ive read everything i could and it dosent tell me what it means by Architectures
  9. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm only really here at night.
    uummmm.......PPC, these ring a bell ?

If your seeing these in the 2 apps mentioned here, then you have apparently downloaded or installed some apps that contained code for both architectures in 1 package. Obviously, you only need one or the other :p
  10. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
  11. danny_w macrumors 601

Mar 8, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I got 1.2GB back last night when I did it, but I have noticed that my pb never sleeps on its own anymore. I can force it to sleep via the menu, and it wakes just fine, but it does not go to sleep by itself anymore. Any clues?
  12. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    Got rid of 1.3Gb on my iMac

and i'm running it on my iBook G4, were HardDrive space is worth alot more then my iMac(my iMac has 2x the internal drive space and a 160Gb external which i use for backing up important files)

edit- i saved 1.7 gbs on my iBook, putting it up to 17.82 gbs which is great for me :)

also clear out a few files on my iBook
  13. ddk121 macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2006
    Wales, UK
    Still There!

After deleting the languages that you select, why do they still appear when you open up the application again?
  14. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Wheaton/Normal, IL
    I got 2.2GB yesterday and then later installed a program and got 5.5MB back by running it again. Just run the program every time you install something new.

15. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    I just ran this the other day on my PB, where space is tight. Kept a handful of languages, but still freed up a nice 1.3 GB!
  16. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2006
    Check out an App called 'What Size'. It tells you the file sizes on your HD, helping you locate the space hogs.

Also, Mr Clean finds duplicates.

Check em out!

17. Benjamin Black macrumors member

Mar 28, 2006
    Dalls, TX
    Just cleared 6+ GBs using the two apps listed above! Got 3.3 back with Monolingual and 3 with the printer app. Thanks!!!
  18. YS2003 macrumors 68020

Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    My rule of thumb is, if a 1 or 2 (or 3 or 4) gigs of HD space is needed on the internal HD, that internal HD needs to be upgraded for larger ones. While my PBs are 80GB or 100GB for internal HD space (I have not even filled it up 20% as each one has its own 250 GB or 300 GB external HD), my iBook is 40GB. So, I carry Lacie's mobile 100 GB external firewire-powered HD for file storage (CS2 files) for the iBook. I thought about getting rid of World Book, 2 games this iBook came. But, I don't want to throw it away because my money bought it with the rest of the iBook. I have already got rid of other languages I don't speak as I performed the clean re-install for OS.
  19. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2005
    One of the first programs I ran when I got my PB last year. Two thumbs up! Awesome app!