Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomasz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
Berkeley, California
Okay, well it doesn't seem like much has changed, but it still looks like a beauty. I was wondering if the bus on the titanium's was 133 before? Was that a new feature our am I just trying to find something to "blow" (cough cough) us away?

And another question that has been bugging me for a while is regarding the software you receive when you buy a new mac. If you buy a consumor model that is "cheap" you get some games, appleworks, and little things like that. But when you buy the expensive macs (towers, titanium) you get no such software. I feel that the more expensive computers should get the software as well.

Tomasz

astronun

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2001
keep your socks on..

The logic board is 133mhz, This is the same as before, since they went to the 550 and 667mhz.

As for the software, the Pro level models do not come with software like Appleworks. This is done because most people that buy the PB G4s and towers use MS Office and Photoshop and the like.

Tomasz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
Berkeley, California
But I think that you can get a 100 mhz bus or 133 and was just wondering why they would keep two buses (besides to barely distinguish them).

As for the software part:
I agree and know that people get better software and upgrades on higher models... but that doesn't mean I don't want some of the basics. Sometimes I don't care about all the special things that can be done on a program, just the necessities.

And when someone that isn't very good with computers needs it for a simple task, they don't need to be using high end programs. I just tell them to go to the nice shiny, big button, simple ones.

So if I am paying for a high end tower, I would like to have some basics as well. (They make plenty of money from the hardware, so they should throw in some of their software).

Tomasz

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
The original Titanium's were both 100mhz Buses because the processors were 400 and 500.

Now that there is a 667 mHz available, they had to produce the corresponding 133mHz board. The 100's are still on the 550's. Get it? You cant (as far as I know, Im no techie though) have a 133mHz board with a processor with an even mHz rating.

100mHz = 400, 500, 550
133mhz = 667

Thats as far as my puny knowledge goes.

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
Before the last update...the bus was at 100mhz. Hence the 400 and 500mhz processors.

The new ones come with a 100mhz bus in the 550 model, and 133mhz ONLY in the 667 model.

Any computer with a 100mhz bus is going to have a mhz rating divisible by five. Any with 133 will end in 33,66, or 67.

-Pete

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
dont you hate it when people post exactly what you are trying to say a split second before you say it...oh well.

-Pete

Morphine

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2001
hrm

So, how does the 133 mhz bus work with the Dual 800mhz?

Not trying to be rude, just curious.

Tomasz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 30, 2001
Berkeley, California
They didn't say they knew everything about buses.
And I don't think that is a very good explaination (and i don't know everything about buses either).

I know plenty of computers that have odd and even, and prime mhz numbers... on all sorts of buses:0

Also the reported mhz (of cpus and graphic cards) are not necesaryily exactly what you get. Sometimes it may be off (especially on companies that want to make their cpu products seem better by reporting lower mhz than in reality).

Tomasz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.