Regent Street Apple Store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GeorgeYianni, Sep 7, 2004.

1. GeorgeYianni macrumors newbie

Do you think they'll have lucky bags?
    How easy is it to resell software if I don't need it, if I were to buy one?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

They probably won't have lucky bags, but I suppose it's possible. You shouldn't have any problem reselling software, but note that it'll likely be at quite a discount, even new and unopened.

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

First Apple store in the UK, they've got to do something special. Surely they'll have giveaways and lucky bags, and hopefully a few other surprises too (appearance from Steve?!) :D

4. JLS macrumors 6502

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

6. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

20th November - the last day of the MacExpo show ;)

7. JLS macrumors 6502

Where the hell do you people get these dates. I can't find any info anywhere about when the next expos or store launches are.. where do you get them?

Share please! :)

8. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

You can get information on expos and Apple events from the Apple website, either looking under Hot News or here. And I remember reading about the store launch on Mac Bytes ;)

9. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i want to go hopefuly i can get away from uni

10. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The Apple store opening date is AFAIK still officially a rumour. It was on thinksecret a month or so ago and TS are usually pretty accurate. The macexpo was on last November. It is on again this year - in November. They gave away free tickets last year - they did this year (you're too late AFAIK). It was in Islington last year- it's at the same gaff this year. The website for mac-expo is, strangely enough, www.mac-expo.co.uk. It's not a black art... :rolleyes:

11. winwintoo macrumors 6502

Hey, I walked by there a week ago and had the rain dribble on me through the scaffolding :D :D

Didn't realize it was going to be an Apple store or I would have bowed down or collected some of that rain and sold it on eBay!

Take care, M

12. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

What are these mysterious "lucky bags" you talk of...?

13. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Basically bags of Apple goodies...you pay for them without knowing what's inside them. The bags might have a monetary value of say £500, you buy the bags for £200 and hope that it has the goodies you want, otherwise you rush to eBay and hope for a profit! ;)

14. JLS macrumors 6502

But thats madness. There is no way you would do that to find you have some software you don't want. Surely you could just return it with the recipt saying you where mistaken or something lol..

Lucky dip for the big boys is a bit too scary for me.

15. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

It's all part of the fun!! ;)

Plus you normally get some valuable hardware too, i think there were pretty much ipods in every bag at the San Francisco (?) store opening and a 10% discount card.

16. GeorgeYianni thread starter macrumors newbie

I read there was only an iPod in 1 in 6 of them http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/sf_opening/gift_bag.html
    Still i also heard some lucky people walked away with laptops. Your guaranteed to get stuff worth much more than you pay. However a lot of it may be software you won;t need which you can't ebay for more than about a quarter of its value....

George

17. GeorgeYianni thread starter macrumors newbie

And also the 10% of discount card everyone seems to use is a bit useless to me seeing as education discount seems to be about 14%... Oh well I'm sure someone will buy it off me if your buying a 3000 quid Powermac thats 300 pounds!

18. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Damn. If the opening is on the last day of mac-expo like everyone expects I'll have to explain to the missus why I spent yet more money on lucky bags (AKA 'No sex for a fortnight' bags) :D

19. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Just as a by the by, I take it Apple will be exhibiting at the Mac-Expo? I just ask because they don't appear by name on the floorplan. The area I would expect them to be in is marked as "reserved".
    Vanilla

20. JLS macrumors 6502

Can you get the higher education discounts at apple stores or is that online only?

21. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

So these lucky bags... they're £200! As much as that you think? Because I would REALLY like to have the fun of opening one and getting something, but if its software, I'm screwed, I have just wasted £200... Hmmmmmm.... What are the chances that it will be full of crap software... Or an iPod or iBook or something... Argh! They might not even have them, right?

22. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

£200 was just a random number thrown out there...I think the actual bags at the San Francisco store launch was something in the region of $250 so it might not be too far from the truth. It's a complete lucky dip to what you get obviously but I think you're guaranteed some sort of hardware, more in the iPod, iSight range than an iBook though! :p

23. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

If it's got a laptop in it isn't it more of a lucky sack than a lucky bag?

24. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Good point :) I think it will be iSight, thing, yeah. I read a contents somewhere...

25. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

So, when will we know if there are going to be lucky bags... It appears there will be at the mo, yeah?