Reggie interview; Revolution and DS

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Jun 26, 2005.

1. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Excellent! It really does sound like Revolution will have a killer launch of software from day one. Can't wait to see what new franchises the big N has in store. :D

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

fantastic news! i keep hearing the term 'core gamer'. i truly love the sound of that. and thinking about it the core gamer in me wants to go play NES Super Mario Bros, ive had this craving for a few days now too.

free online gaming on the Rev and DS? excellent :D

that would be too good. i mean the GBA is the most popular (aka, most sold) gaming machine to date, the DS is the next step so people are moving to that. with the amount of people with DS's we're going to see a very active online gaming community, especially with the sheer popularity of the DS in japan.

and the bit about the Gameboy Micro. my (and probably everyone elses) guess that this will be dirt cheap seems to be spot on.

but wow. we're going to see the classic franchises returning for the Rev's launch?! haha, i was considering getting an Xbox360 earlier this week. but now i'll get my Rev and be happy ever after.
    this whole Revolution experience is already so gripping and beautiful. :D

3. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

It's been hinted we'll see a Kid Icarus game on the Revolution from Shigeru Miyamoto :D

BTW, I can see why the Micro will be cheaper. The Micro only plays GBA games from what I understand, no old gameboy and gameboy color games. That means it can remove the Z80 processor (the GBA SP and GBA have a Z80 processor from the GameBoy Color to play old games), saving money. And the screen is smaller, saving more money. As a result it'll probably be the cheapest handheld sold by Nintendo.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Rumor is that the GBA Micro will cost more than the SP but less than the DS. They might include the Play Yan with it. It'll be well worth it if they include that...

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hmm i dunno, Reggie says

my guess is £40, half the price of the SP as it is now (i think they're about £80). it makes sense especially with the lack of a Z80 CPU and its diminutive size. just over the price of a game, or rather, the price of a PSP game :p why buy an overpriced watered-down console port when you can get the greatest (or rather most sold) handheld console ever? especially as the GBM and the PSP come out at around the same time in the UK.

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

nice interview .. man i can hardly wait for the new Civilization 4 (*drool*) ... Nintendo definetly know how to build up anticipation ... i can't wait to see the new franchises, i'm pretty sure they will have at least one (more) mature one

and i have no doubt that the new gameboy micro will sell like hot cakes during christmas shopping season , heck even i'm thinking about one because of the size but i simply can't decide because of the lots of stuff out there which i want to buy ...gameboy micro, civ4,revolution next year,DS, zelda,geist + other gamecube games mario strikers,tales of symphonia , mp3 players, LCD computer screens arghhhhh where shall i take all that money

7. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'm frankly disturbed at the thought of a "Mario that appeals to teens".

Just don't follow Sega's approach and give your mascot machine guns.
    [​IMG]

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

lol yeah stick to fireballs like in the old days ;)

i can smell a comeback of the fireballs, frog suit ,feather etc. from the NES game..that would awesome in 3d.. that is still something lacking in mario64 and sunshine...

9. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've always been waiting for a new Super Mario Bros game (not counting the DS one), or a new World game.

The last "Mario Bros" game was Mario 3.

I want a new Mario Bros game, in full 3d, based off the Mario 64 type of game engine but with all the old stuff (I want the old tail back! And fire flower, etc). Or at least a sequel to Mario World, with the cape and all.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

thats a good point o_O there hasnt been a fireflower in the new Mario games. thing is 2D and 3D Mario are so very different, the only thing that links them is the flying cap and riding Yoshi. now. make a new 2D Mario game, then without releasing it turn it into 3D and :D

also get those elusive suits in there, the Tanookis and Hammer Bros suits, or whatever equivalent.

now... the New Super Mario Bros DS looks awesome. sure it may not be mature but its the holy grail of gaming; a 2D Mario.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

sonic died after Sonic Adventure. it just doesn't work in 3D -_- Sonic Advance on the other hands is alright, but its no Sonic 2 (Megadrive)

12. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

There was a flying cap in old Mario games?

I'm pretty sure there wasn't. The only thing that links them is riding Yoshi, and that was ONLY in Super Mario Sunshine (64 didn't have it). Oh, and Goombas die when you jump on their heads.

13. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I actually somewhat liked Sonic Adventure 2.

The graphics were bad, the game was very simple, but for a limited time it was fun. Not an especially good game, but it was okay.

On the other hand, I hated Sonic Advance 2. It was TOO fast. To the point where I can beat stage 2-1 by holding forward on the D-pad and pressing jump one time. I know, I tested it. Most of the levels consisted of you holding forward while you run through levels too fast to see what the heck is going on and where you are, and jumping once or twice. I'd much rather play a port of Sonic 2 or the best Sonic game ever, Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

14. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Hmm. Cheap, eh? Make it $50 and I'll buy one. Even though I have a perfectly functioning SP and not really that many games...I'd still one just for the extreme portability.

15. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

[/QUOTE]
    did the psx ever make it to the us at all?

16. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No, it died in Japan.

17. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

I guess it was supposed to read "flying cape". :)

18. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

There wasn't a flying cape in Mario 64 :p

19. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Oh, I didn't understand the post you replied to. I've never played Mario 64, but I thought I remembered the flying cape from my childhood, hence my previous post. And there was a bear-like flying thing too. Has he ever used the same thing to fly in to seperate games?

Edit:
    the cape was in super mario world for SNES.

And here are two pictures but I don't know what games these were from. (not from smw snes atleast.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nope. Mario 64 (awesome game, go play it ASAP, it's considered the best platformer of it's generation) had a flying cap, a hat with wings on the side, that you would use to fly.

21. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

A revolution has to happen before I go play that game! :D [​IMG]

22. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

That's Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World respectively. Ah, nostalgia!

Super Mario 64 is indeed one of the greatest 3D platformer ever made. And it was the first ever that was done right (the first 3D platformer ever, Bubsy 3D, needless to say, sucked).

23. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yup. Mario 3 had the racoon tail to fly, Mario World had the cape, Mario 64 had the cap, and Sunshine had the rocket nozzle on FLUDD.

24. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Didn't mario world have the other cape? the yellow one, used as a parachute..

[​IMG]

this one. At least I've been told that was mario world for snes.