Region 1/NTSC DVDs on my G4 (UK)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Blue Velvet, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Not sure whether this should be in the software section but here goes...

I'd like to buy a Region 1/NTSC DVD set (Larry Sanders Show).

But I live here in the UK where it's another region with ummm... PAL (?)

Will these play on my G4 1.4, OS 10.3.4 with a SVGA monitor?
    Or are there any probs with this?

I don't have a DVD player as such (yet) & my small TV is certainly not NTSC-compatible.

Any UK/EU forum members that have done this?
    Or any US fellas with the gos?
  2. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2003
    London, England
    you should be able to play it using the VLC Media Player you will get the region warnings but if you ignore them and close the apple DVD player VLC will play your DVD. Or you could use Handbrake to rip the DVD to MP4 file and play it from your HD.
  3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    They might play if you use Videolan Although it won't allow you to play DVDs from other regions on all Macs. I would see if you can find a cheap region 1 DVD (like on ebay) and see if it plays before going out and spending lots of money on US DVDs.
  4. boskie macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2001
    North Side Of Itchy Town
    Your comp spec is fine for playback of PAL or NTSC DVD's. What you might (or could but would break warranty of the device and might cause problems) is find out if you can flash the firmware for the dvd drive with an RPC-1 (region free) version for your particular drive.

Firstly, check what Drive you have in Apple System Profiler (inside the utilities folder), this will also tell you what your current firmware is.

Second, Go to Mac DVD Resource. Read through the site so you know what the consequences are, and once your sure you want to do it find the relevant firmware to unlock the region on the drive (and possibly more ;) ).

Voila! you'll never have to worry about any region problems ever again...

I have done this to both:
    Superdrive in TiBook - was RPC-2 1xDVD/8xCD burning, Now RPC-1 2xDVD / 16XCD Burning
    DVD-ROM in Cube - was RPC-2, Now RPC-1
  5. Case macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2004
    VLC should work fine

Here in KC (Kansas City), I (my kids) use VLC ( on a G3 iBook to watch some dvds from Greece which is region 2 and are PAL disks. Just cancel when the Mac's dvd player complains about the invalid region and use VLC. No problems. Plays NTSC dvds as well.

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Thanks guys -- I'll see if I can borrow somebody's US discs of something to test it on.
  7. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    This is the drive, I'll check it on Mac DVD Resource. Cheers, Boskie.

Manufacturer: PIONEER
    Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-105
    Revision: A506
    Serial Number: BLDL010354WL
    Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
    Disc Burning: Apple Supported/Shipped
    Removable Media: Yes
    Detachable Drive: No
    Protocol: ATAPI
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
  8. wrc fan macrumors 65816