Region-codes up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lieb39, Oct 29, 2005.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hello everyone,

My friend has a Powerbook 17" with a superdrive (Not the newest ones but the revision before that) and he's currently over here (Australia) from Canada. He's been switching between his own DVD collection and rentals over here, and subsequently changing the region codes a few times. Now he is locked up, at least on north America, but still annoying anyways.

Is there a solution that can put it into region-free or he can view Australia DVDs? He tried on VLC with no luck.

Thanks,

lieb39

2. carpe diem macrumors 6502

There are cracks but it cannot be discussed here.

3. tsaxer macrumors regular

The only "legal" thing to do at this point is take it to an apple tech, who should be able to reset it. You ony get about 5 switches before it locks up, 'cuz you know the world would end if I were watching Japanese DVD's and American DVD's back to back...ugh

Anyhow, now I have a Q for everyone else, if you get an external DVD drive, can you set it to be another region? or is the coding tied to the OS?

4. josepho macrumors regular

The region lock is a hardware feature, and as such would be "as new" in a new DVD drive. If it were in the OS then it would no doubt be easier to "get 'round", however this is not how it works...

5. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

As said before, it is a hardware thing. Hacking the firmware is what you'd have to do.

Another option is to us VLC. It can play DVDs and doesn't care about region.
    Edit: I see VLC didn't work, but I'd try it again. VLC Should not check regions. Something else may be wrong.

7. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

XinePlayer might be worth a shot, but it use the same decoding library as VLC so there's a chance it won't work if it didn't work with VLC.

8. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

It's a firmware thing - there are a load of firmware patches on the net for all sorts of drives. As for it being illegal, well Amazon UK sell DVD players AND provide the information on how to make them region-free (which is what you want to do) - so if its ok for Amazon, I reckon its also ok for us to tell you how to get yours sorted out.

For some general info try http://www.macos.utah.edu/Documentation/DVDRegionFree/RegionFree_Utilities.html - although it looks to be about OS 9 vintage it might help.

9. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

try searching for cynical.net for links to ur drive he has some pb's firmware so that helps check it out

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

There are some newer DVD drives that require a region code check to do anything. VLC won't work on those drives.

11. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

12. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

And on another more personal note, can I do anything for my Mac-mini? It has a superdrive. [MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-835F]

Thanks,

lieb39

13. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

k

cynical the godfather who create's the firmware hacks is wroking on it but it may take some time !!!

so for the min nothing for the mini

14. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

The drive on the 17" PB is Matshita DVD-R UJ-845E
    Can anyone help me out? Websites doesn't show me anything.

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

-lieb39

15. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

DVDs is a great technology

but i simply cannot find a good reason to justify having regions built into them
    people travel around the world with their computers these days
    and if they wish to buy DVDs in another part of the world while they are abroad, they have to think twice.
    market segmentation is taking its toll on us the consumers.

as if having region 1,2,3,4,5,6 .... is not bad enough
    those who want to write DVDs have to struggle with compatiblity issues like DVD-RAM, DVD+R, DVD-R...

why can they make the technology simple like buying, listening, writing a CD?

16. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Because that way the movie can be released on DVD in one part of the world and in the theater in another part of the world

Because when companies were developing the technologies, certain companies worked together. Other companies worked together to achieve the same goal. Things are never exactly the same so every group created a slightly different technology. Its the price we pay to live in a capitalistic society.