Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
Is there a way to set my Combo drive to be region free? I'm on an imac G4, running Tiger. I already found how to change the region, but you can only do it 5 times, so just changing it once and then changing it back uses up 2. Also, it seemed to cause a few other problems when I did it.

Thanks!

alexstein

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2004
VLC is a media player, it almost plays any format I can think of.

Link

It might not help you in your position but it may be worth a shot. You could also use mac the ripper to rip the movie that will strip the region code.

ThatGirl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
California
Thanks. In order to use Mac the Ripper, doesn't the disc have to be able to play on the computer in the first place? It won't recognize the disc because it is the wrong region.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
ThatGirl said:
Thanks. In order to use Mac the Ripper, doesn't the disc have to be able to play on the computer in the first place? It won't recognize the disc because it is the wrong region.

VLC and other media players used to be able to play multiple DVD regions with older drives. However I understand the newer DVD drives are different and none of these media players work anymore.

Unfortunately you would have to use up another one of your 'Region changes' to get Mac the Ripper to recognise the disk, before being able to remove the region code. This is the same for the Handbrake application as well.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
IIRC there was a program that did this and it was talked a lot on www.videohelp.com under the Mac Video section. Do a search in there or toss up a post and see what they come up with. Some of the people there that had PBs said great things about it as travel can be rough with trying to play dvds from different regions, i.e. my friend was in Australia for 7 months and had to change his twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.