Region Free MBP with the LG-optical drive...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZballZ, Feb 27, 2007.

1. ZballZ macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2006
    I know a lot of you fellow-mbp-owners are stuck with the Matsushita drive, which apparently cannot be flashed region free. BUT, as far as I know, around october-november 06, apple started to use LG-drives instead.

Has anyone any experience in flashing this drive, so that it is region free? I found a litlle app. at RPC-1 that should do the trick, unfortunately (for some) it has to be run from windows. Only one MBP-user has reported back, and it seemed to have worked out just fine...

But, flashing the drive is a risky thing, so, anyone else has experience on how to make the LG-drive (firmware AE38) region free?
  2. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2007
    North Carolina
    My MacBook was built in December 2006 and I have the LG DVD burner in it. But from what I understand, even if you succeed in making your DVD burner region free, you still have two other region protections on your system; the OS and whatever application you are using to burn DVDs.

Read this explanation.

What burning software are you planning on using?
  3. ZballZ thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2006
    Well, actually i am not planning on burning anything. I just wanna be able to watch all my DVDs on the MBP! (my dvd collection is a mix og Region 1 and region 2)
  4. Chimaera macrumors regular

Nov 15, 2002
    To be honest I've been kicking this one around myself and I've decided I can't be bothered with hacking the macbook in any way when I get it. Blank DVDs cost next to nothing these days, I'm just going to make duplicates of the DVDs I want to watch on the move and strip out the region encoding as I go. That and the unskippable rubbish that is getting increasingly annoying!
  5. iW00t macrumors 68040

Nov 7, 2006
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    1 more reason to upgrade during the next cycle!