Region Free

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nathanbusby, Aug 19, 2006.

1. nathanbusby macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2006
    Turks and Caicos islands
    so I am sure this is out there somewhere but can't find it.
    I have that age old problem in that I own many different region DVD's.
    I want to be able to play them on my MBP.
    Mostly I own region 1 and 2. I know we can change the region 4 times but need to be able to region free the DVD drive.

When I was a windows dinosour, I used region free with no problems.
    is there some 3rd party software out there to get around the region coding??

Macbook Pro 15"
    100GB @7200rpm
    2GB ram

60GB ipod Video
  2. theBB macrumors 68020

Jan 3, 2006
    It was easy with the old RPC1 type of drives, now they usually come out RPC2. Region coding is now embedded in the hardware, so your only salvation is installing a hacked firmware. A bit scary for me. I'd rather buy a cheap region free external drive.

Edit: On second thought, maybe this external drive is not such an easy solution, either. Out of curiosity, I just checked Newegg and Amazon for region free external DVD drives with USB interface. So far, nothing promising. Does anyone know any such product?
  3. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    See my post in this thread. In regards to flashing drives, I have flashed many of them on PCs and never had a problem. So if you really need a RPC1 drive, I'd say get one that you know you can flash, stick it in a PC to flash it, and then get a FireWire enclosure.