Regional Codes for Apple DVD Player

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by frescies, Mar 28, 2003.

1. frescies macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I was surfing along on ebay the other day, just like I usually do when I'm at work, and I found a DVD version of a movie that I've been looking for. Well, it turns out that the DVD is only made in region 2 (those crazy Dutch) as it is an oddball movie.

My question is....

Can Apple DVD Player play discs with region codes other than 0 or 1? I'm kinda curious, because the application doesn't seem to mention anything about it in any of its menus.... Is there something special I need to do to it in order to get it to play them? Or do I only get to play 0 and 1 discs since I ordered a US machine (I'm in california)

Thanks a ton,
    Davo

2. frescies thread starter macrumors regular

hmmmmmm....

It mentions the fact that region changes are updated in "firmware" and refers to the switching of region codes as being implemented in "the drive"....

Does this mean that after the 5th time it locks the firmware of the hardware and cannot be reset by the software?

What if I use 2 different startup partitions..... and I use region 0 or 1 disks on one and Region 2 disks on the other? Will this work or will the 2 Systems recognize the change in the hardware?

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i think its firmware after that 5th time so even if u used two partitions after 5 total access of the region setting. I thought there used to be a firmware hack but apple stepped in or it was too unstable. You may want ot run a google search on how to change it ....just things to think about. I woudl think a firmware hack is definately possible but you jsut need to know how and be ok with voiding the warranty.

4. frescies thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah....

Voiding the warranty: No big deal.

I think I will do some research into the firmware and the way it works..... maybe there IS a way around it. Thanks for your help!

David

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i woudl definately dig around and i think you wil find what our looking for.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

There is a way around it, but in compliance with the macrumors rules, I cannot talk about such things.

God damn it!

There are Some Firmware hacks to set your region to all areas.

I don't know anything tho. ;) ;)

7. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i can confirm that, my wall st powerbook used to be multiregion, first dvd drive to come out it was. so when i upgraded i missed it as i play a lot of english dvds as well as american ones so it sucks that you have a limit on the times you can change regions, i'm not doing anything illegal yet i'm penalised.

i actually just reset my drive, changed the firmware so i can now change regions indefinitely :D

do a search, it's not hard to find ;)

8. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

You can use DVDBackup to rip the dvd to your harddrive and also change the region code for it. Go to versiontracker.com to find it. That's all I'll say

9. frescies thread starter macrumors regular

5 minutes

You were right...

5 minutes on the internet and I've found about 6 VERY resourceful sites. I definately want to get that dvdbackup software.

Thanks a ton guys!

David

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: 5 minutes

Believe it or not there are a few decent DVD ripping programs at versiontracker.com now.

Also there I will confirm that there is definitely a way to give your DVD drive an open region code meaning it will play any region of DVD without restriction.

11. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

The Macrumors rules don't say anything about this stuff.. it isn't illegal, it's just going to void your warranty... here's the page with all the firmware patches and DVDBackup.

irmongoose