Registering for TIGER: Anyone know how to tell if it's registered yet?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mpqtpie, Oct 15, 2005.

1. mpqtpie macrumors member

mpqtpie

Just a quick question. I have Tiger software that I want to sell on eBay but I'm not sure whether it's been registered or not yet. Does anyone know where to go on Apple's website to determine whether a copy of Tiger has been registered yet? Can you punch in a serial number or something? I can't sell it until I know. Also, what difference does it make if it's registered? What's the downside of that for someone who buys it?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

What serial number? ;) Tiger doesn't come with unique identification in the sense you mean. So there is no problem as long as you uninstall Tiger from the computer you were using it on.

3. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mac OS X goes by honesty. :) They can get away with that because 95% of computer users can't use it.

4. mpqtpie thread starter macrumors member

mpqtpie

Yeah, I don't need it because I just bought a new iBook which comes with tiger. So I'm trying to sell it and had someone ask me if it was registered. I didn't quite understand why it matters unless someone is worried about buying an update os next time. I wonder if that would affect them being able to buy a discounted update rather than full install. Hmmm...

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

As long as you give them the included coupons it shouldn't matter... besides don't they charge full price for point releases (10.5)? ;)

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

They have so far, and I'm sure they will for 10.5.
    Generally, you only qualify if you purchase a new Mac between the announcement of the shipping date (not the announcement of its existence) and the actual shipping date. Of course, sometimes it can be fudged (like many of the early aluminum 15" adopters, like me, being able to get Panther for $20, even though we purchased before the ship date announcement.)

7. phonemonkey macrumors regular

Except for when 10.1 came out, I remember they were giving it away at Circuit City for free. Made my day

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...that was the exception because they knew that in reality 10.0 was really "Public Beta v2" and could not get away with charging for it. Also, giving away and full upgrade was going to help the transition to X from OS 9.....oh yeah!