registering is the biggest pain in the ass I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Community' started by Micho, Nov 19, 2002.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

my 2001 federal tax return was 75 pages long.

once i got a red pepper flake in my eye.

both of those were a bigger pain in the ass than registering.

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Dude if you don't like, why bother, go away then, its not to much trouble is it

3. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I don't know if you mean registering software or hardware. I will assume you mean both.

I just got a new machine from Apple and, for once, decided to take the time to register. I dialed an 800 number that was listed on the registration card and was promptly helped. The process, start to finish, took less than five minutes. This includes dialing, navigating the automated directory system, waiting on hold and reading off my serial numbers. Less than five!

On the software end, most companies now allow internet registration. The process takes, what, thirty seconds? And if you mean to say that punching in your serial number is the big pain in the ass, well I can't argue with you that it's frustrating to mistake a zero for the letter O and not understand why your code doesn't unlock your installer. But that's a temporary problem. Really, how long does ANY form of registration take?

Dan

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hemorrhoids...

Definitely a bigger pain in the ass than registering software.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

he means registering on this site. he registered today and immediately started two dubious threads.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

normal software or that from microsoft?

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

I'm going to have to agree with Micho a little here. At least with Calculus I don't have to wait a whole day for an email from the site. :rolleyes:

When I first registered to MacRumors, I send the info...saw the message about an email has been sent, but no email appeared in my inbox. I couldn't register until the following day.

Also, this may not be when I first registered, but when I changed my email I had limited privilages, and I had to wait until I got up to Maine (where I changed the email to) to find three possible reactivation links.

A very similar thing happened with TheTechPub; I had to wait a day to find the email in my inbox.

Then, again, it may just be my internet server, as much as yours, Micho. :confused:

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Actually...I found registering for this site to be the same...if not less involved as in most websites. I don't see what the big deal is?

What a true pain is...

and this belongs in the Poop Thread...the everlasting wipe! :eek: :D ;)

9. Vroem macrumors member

Mathematica 4.2 registration

Anyone tryed to register Mathematica 4.2 for students? It uses a new registration method. Here is how it works: when you first start up Mathematica it generates a number based on your hardware and... your dns information. You have to send this code to Wolfram and they send you the serial number back.

This means that every time I connected to another network, I had to re-apply for a SN, and I use a laptop!! :mad:
    All the SNs are stored in the Mathematica.app

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well then, perhaps, the registration should be more difficult.

11. diorio macrumors 6502a

Re: registering is the biggest pain in the ass I've ever seen

Boo frickity hoo.:rolleyes:

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

These should be able to help you get rid of your ass pain.

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

This raises the question, have you ever registered at a website before?

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: Mathematica 4.2 registration

Damn. That sounds harsh. I'll probably be getting Mathmatica in the following couple of years, so I'll try to keep this in mind for when the time comes.

[off topic]
    BTW: If you plan to work with integrals, try
    integrals.wolfram.com [/off topic]

bousozoku, he still managed to get in. If he gets in to another website with a more difficult registration, he may make four or more threads, then get banned. So you have a point. :p

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: Re: Mathematica 4.2 registration

Geez, I luv people from Jersey. :) Thanks for agreeing, more or less, with me.

We could always do as Orange County Floriduh (Orlando area) did with their absentee ballots. When they ran out of English absentee ballots, they made English-speakers use Spanish absentee ballots.