Registering

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ohcrap, Sep 26, 2005.

1. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Today, when I got home from work, there was a letter from the United States Government Selective Services Team (I think it ended with 'Team', I dunno) regarding the fact that I've yet to register. I am 19 years old, 20 in January, and would not lift a finger to aid this countries' efforts overseas, so I never registered. I don't want to be drafted. I don't even like hearing about what's going on, nonetheless would I want to be a part of it. (I'm not referring to helping those in need down south, btw).

Anyways, the letters basically says $250,000 fine and up to 5 years inprisonment for not registering. So, I guess I should register? But how do I go about not getting drafted? What are the odds that I would? I have a somewhat recently broken back (severe compression fracture spanning across 3 vertebrae, basically crushing one). I could not so much as walk for a few months, then slowly progressed to a pretty much normal state now, after about 4 years of healing. Also, I have a few minor stomach "issues", and whatnot.

Should I just say I'm gay?

Seriously, though. This country sickens me lately, and the thought of being forced to join it's services absolutely drives me up the wall.

Any suggestions? What should I do? Should I even be worrying?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It's the law. You HAVE to register. They will come after you if you don't.

The odds of you getting drafted are pretty low, actually... Congress would have to reinstate the draft, and they've shown no sign of wanting to do that. The military isn't too keen on it, either, since the last time we had a draft (Vietnam era), a lot of the draftees turned out to be TERRIBLE soldiers/sailors/Marines.

As far as your "issues" are concerned, that would only be brought up at the time that you were drafted... they'd run you through a physical and all of that and determine if you were unfit for service. You can't get pre-disqualified by revealing problems in advance... it doesn't work that way.

Go get registered.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Just register, if you've broken your back and are left with a few minor lingering issues -- I doubt you would have to worry about ever being drafted anyway.

There are enough healthy people to be dragged kicking and screaming ahead of you, if that fails ... you can always get arrested in a gay bar soliciting an officer at your first chance.

4. yenko macrumors 6502a

Terrible soldiers. :mad:

Did you just pull that out of your ass! :mad:

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, I didn't just "pull that out of my ass". My Dad was a pilot in the Air Force during Vietnam, and I know from him directly that a lot (not ALL, but more than you'd want) of the draftees had no interest in being in the military, and consequently they were not as good at their jobs as volunteers.

Sadly, this shows how things have changed for the worse since WW II, when many of the men of the military were draftees... they accepted it as part of the price of being an American citizen, and they paid it largely without complaint and often at the cost of their own lives. By Vietnam, the politicization of war made it such that draftees were often (not always) a big discipline problem in the military.

Nowadays, the people you want in the military are the people who WANT to be in the military. Their level of motivation is much higher, and they perform their jobs more professionally. The days of draftees merely being riflemen are largely in the past; modern military professionals are highly-educated and trained to perform their jobs as efficiently as possible without using the "meat grinder" tactics of the past.

6. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Nobody wants to get drafted. But if you want to live in a free country you have to be willing to defend it if needed.

7. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I agree in principle with most of what you said, but i'd say the MAIN difference in attitude was that WWII was largely perceived as a necessary 'good' war, whereas Vietnam was obviously not.

Motivation goes a long way, especially if it's your life on the line.
    If the vietnamese had landed in southern california and were bombing L.A., I'd guess draftees would have been 'better soldiers'.

8. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, the problem now is that there is apparently no such thing as a 'good' war. Certain elements of society would dispute the need to wage a war against ANYONE, no matter how awful they might be.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You've got to register or face the consequences of not doing so. Your only other option is to leave the country. I had to register for Selective Service when I came of age, during the Vietnam War draft. I drew a draft lottery number of 50, which means I would probably have been called up had the draft not ended that year. I was lucky, I didn't have to make any really tough choices. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. Sounds like you're 4F (medical deferment) material.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ohcrap, i agree you should register. it's the law and it's the right thing to do. worry about actually getting drafted if/when that even happens.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

That is why I said 'perceived'. I tend to subscribe to the 'no good war' view.
    Wars are not waged for idealistic reasons, but for what the elite in charge views as strategic, economic or political interests. This, IMO, includes WWII.
    But once the decision to go to war is taken, the way it will be fought depends on how people (soldiers and civilians) see or perceive it.
    WWII was an easy sell, especially after Pearl Harbour. Vietnam was not, nor would have been Iraq.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, it sucks, but I had to register when I turned 18 last year too. But even if they would draft, I wouldn't pass the physical either, so yay for being out of shape :D

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Sadly, you seem to have missed the truth of WWII. You might not know this, but the school lunch program was started up during WWII simply because the draftees were a malnourished, sickly bunch. You might also not be aware that the country was just coming out of the Great Depression. Death at the hands of the Germans or Japanese was at least quick. Starving on some windblown farm in the midwest was slow and agonizing. The majority were uneducated. Signing on the dotted line for many of them, meant scrawling an X.

You also seem to forget that it was a war we were dragged into by Roosevelt. The Americans didn't want the war, their president did. The censors destroyed letters that were too anti-War and edited the rest to the point that many were meaningless except to let their families know they were still alive.

One good thing that came out of that war was the GI bill. It allowed hundreds of thousands to escape abject poverty.

Things haven't changed for the worst but for the better since WWII and Vietnam only proved what was foreshadowed during WWII, that drafts only work when the population is uneducated and constantly fed propaganda.

Yeah, right. They want to be there alright, if for no other reason than they have no other option. Highly trained and educated? How many non officer types have a High School Diploma and how many got it via a GED? How many BAs or Masters or PHDs do you find in those same recruits, not many I'd bet. I'm in no way denigrating those who have been recruited but your assertions don't bear scrutiny.

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I read that they were thinking of making Women 18-26 register.

All I have to say is:
    Solitary kidney, and heart problems* I LOVE YOU. I've never loved you more than I do now.

Mmm.. Medical deferment.

*OK, my heart problems are officially gone, but the doc WOULD tell the gov't about how I had them in the past, so I may have a higher chance of not getting drafted. Mua-ha-ha-ha!

15. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

So are you calling men in the American armed forces fighting for our country stupid?

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Ugg has definitely expressed the most pessimistic view of our armed forces that I've heard in a very long time.

17. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Doing anything else would be sexist...

18. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I think you should move to another country, maybe china, or another european country that has compulsive service, just move away from the US as soon as possible, PLEASE!

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm sure you meant "the most pragmatic"!

20. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Actually, I just googled it and this came up.
    I got really freaked out before I started to read it and HEY! it's a joke!

Check out the email that opens for you to sign when you want to be a conscientious objector:
    I, [INSERT NAME HERE], of [INSERT ADDRESS HERE], do hereby formally request that I be classified as a conscientious objector to the War Against Terror. Furthermore, when hordes of filthy, Allah-loving ragheads descend upon my cul-de-sac and begin killing and raping innocent, blue-eyed babies and puppies, I can be counted on to cower in my closet like the Communist homosexual that I am Signed.... ME.

Sounds pretty right. :rolleyes:

21. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, I meant exactly what I said.

22. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Oh, yeah. That's exactly what he said. :rolleyes:

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

How could you possibly come to that conclusion? I was quite clearly refuting the overblown claims of clayj who seems to think the WWII draftees were nobler and more refined than those of Vietnam.

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, 'cause we all know that the grunts in WW II were much better at smoking pot, committing illegal killings of enemy soldiers and civilians, and fragging their lieutenants than the guys in Vietnam were.

25. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Registering isn't that bad, and it does not mean you will get drafted, as a) there is no draft currently and b) if there was to be one, you'd be one in hundreds of thousands of potential draftees. In case of b, you could always choose to immigrate :p.

Seriously though, registration is a fairly simple governmental requirement. I do believe that several countries (industrialized, not just some third-world) still require you to serve in the military for a certain amount of time. Besides which, if there ever was a draft, there's no guarantee you'd see active service as a front-line soldier. You could always be put into work as a medic, code-breaker, technician, etc.