Regrets....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by neoelectronaut, Dec 28, 2003.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Every now and then I regret having purchased an eMac instead of an iMac 15". I thought that the eMac was better since I could get a Superdrive and a bigger screen for less money than the 15".....but, I dunno, sometimes I wish I had the 15" iMac here instead.

But you know, I was in CompUSA today, and just for the heck of it, I tried to play THPS4 on the 20" they had set up there. I felt I much better when it ran absolutely no smoother than it does on my eMac here.

Ever have a regret about buying a piece of harware or software?

2. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

The eMac is a sturdier machine than the iMac yet it costs much less. ( assembled in USA as opposed to Taiwan, respectively) The only thing that bothers me about the eMac is that it is a bit loud, but there is not performance advantage with the iMac

3. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

No? I've been reading that a couple places, but I've been kinda iffy on it...

Hmm. Anywho, my old PC was MUCH louder than the fan on this thing is, so it doesn't bother me at all. I have adapted my brain or something to automatically tune it out...besides, if I'm playing music I can't hear it at ALL.

And I happen to like CRT better than LCD for some reason. *shrug*

4. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I remember when macaddict put an eMac against an iMac and the eMac actually edged it out a little.

5. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

LoL, what is it emac owners gathering here?
    Let me recap what we got here so far:
    CRT is better than LCD.
    iMac is slower than eMac.
    eMac is the best value.
    eMac is the king????

Anyone wants to take an initiative and say it's actually better than G5?(yep non ddr sdram rules) :rolleyes:

6. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Im not saying that the CRT is better than the LCD. Im just trying to make the poster not regret his purchase. Also, for the price, the eMac is a better value. :rolleyes:

7. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I wouldn't regret that decision at all. The eMac is an exceptional value compared to the iMac. I've had both machines and I don't prefer one over the other, except the price of the eMac. The only complaint I have about it is the noise--it is extremely loud, while the iMac is virtually silent. As for performance, I think you are right. I can't discern any significant speed advantage with the iMac. I think the iMac's primary lure is the flat panel, and that is mostly what you are paying for. If you are willing to spend more on a flat panel, get the iMac; otherwise get the eMac.

8. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Your post makes me feel really good. The noise isn't a factor at all, as for it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Besides, I'd rather have a little noise than a fried mac.

9. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

You mean comparing to G5? WRONG.
    You have to calculate Value vs Price vs Need.
    If I need to render 3d objects, emac has 0 "need" for me, that makes value also pretty much zero and price is not a factor at all then.
    For emails and web surfing, sure eMac isn't bad for the money but for digital imaging/animation (what i need comp for) it's pretty much useless.
    I'd never buy emac, personally. If you look at the stuff they put in it like small slow hdds, slow non ddr ram etc, you realize they sold PCs with better specs for 600 bucks 2 years ago.
    But then again, if you are not using it for anything heavy, then you shouldn't worry about speed at all.

10. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

I use Photoshop on this sucker quite a bit and I see absolutely no problems with it so far.

11. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Re: Regrets....

But don't feel too bad though....
    I screwed up too i think. Bought 1.8 G5 and in less then 2 months they released dual 1.8 for the same price. Rumors are G5's will be 2.6 Ghz in january. I sold my G5, and now waiting for new updates... I need a dual processor and don't know why settled for single initially. So i lost like 300 bucks on nothing... :(

12. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

No, I mean eMac vs. iMac

13. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Only one regret!

I bought a G4 Dual 1.25 (my first mac) with a Gig of Ram, Superdrive and an extra 120 Gig Hard Drive at about the time the G5 came out in September.

I don't regret it at all... The price difference was about $100 CDN between the Dual 1.25 and the single 1.6.

I still feel better about buying the duallie. I realize that the G5 is a better line of computers in general but I'd rather not have the bottom of the line one.

I had to scrape to get the G4. I bought a really good CRT for it though, and saved the money of a flat panel. I would still make the same decision today. If, however I had an extra bit of cash, I'd go for the dual 1.8.

MY ONE REGRET: I got delivery of my G4 at the start of september. Had I bought the G5, Panther would have been a free upgrade. Because I bought before Oct 8th and it was a G4, I didn't. Still happily using 10.2.8 though with no broken programs.

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

True and this why Apple held back emac to 1 gig and allowed imac to go all the way up to 1.25:rolleyes: They had to do something since 1 gig emac was as fast or faster then 1 giger imac. I to enjoy Macaddict though they play a lot of games with their benches.

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Im also sometimes skeptical of their tests. They had one where a 1.42ghz G4 beat a 1.8ghz G5 in one test.:confused:

16. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

You know, I honestly do regret getting this eMac. I would have liked to get the 17" iMac, but it was at least $700 over my computer budget. So, I had to settle for this.

But you know, when I think about it, I guess it's good that I have a Mac at all. I don't think I could have put up with Windows anymore.

And hell, in 1, 2, or 3 years I'll save some cash, give this one to my parents, and go out and buy the computer that I REALLY want.

17. sabroson macrumors newbie

Well.. so much for sturdier...

My daughter has an eMac and the CRT came with a bad Flyback transformer. Nevertheless, Apple took care of the problem right away.

Still, I think the eMac is a better value. Therefore you did the right decision. The iMac is just a little nicer looking (and perhaps uses less power).

BTW, the coolest Mac I have ever had is the Mac Cube. I still have the one I bought so many years ago (450Mhz) and it works GREAT!. With 1.5Gig of RAM the little machine is actually very usable. And looks great! It is not my main machine (actually, I have it in the Kitchen) but it is the one everybody in the house use the most.

I am considering upgrading it with the PowerLogix 1.4Ghz upgrade.

18. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Then your a fool:D, CRT's are better than LCD's for almost everything except saving a small amout of power and space.

19. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

On topic, Computer hardware/software regrets?:confused: hmm

I only ever bought 1 computer, (my home brew K7 Athlon system which is about to have it's 3rd birthday,) Still works like a dream.

However I got this blastard Epson Printer given to me last year that just eats up ink, really fast. If I knew this was the case I would have put in a little to get a better printer.

I don't hold regrets, for there is nothing to be gained buy having any. I just cut my losses, and learn from my mistakes.

20. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Hmmm. I don't know. I just like prefer the way LCD's look. Can't put my finger on it. No glare? Sharper image?

That being said, when I get my wife a consumer desktop machine, I will probably get her an eMac. She's very cost-conscious, and there's no real loss in not getting an iMac. Maybe even if a little gain, if you folks are to be trusted. :)

21. the future macrumors 6502a

Hello?? Of course LCDs show a *much* sharper image (well, quality LCDs do) than CRTs! That's one of their main advantages! (Not to spoil your little eMac party here, you know. It's a nice machine. And most important: it's a freakin' Mac, so I'll take it over *any* Wintel machine, anytime.)

22. lbodnar macrumors regular

I have 15" 800MHz iMac and 800MHz eMac in front of me on the desk.

iMac's LCD is absolute looser compared to eMac's CRT. It can run only 1024x768, it has visually recogniseable pattern flowing across the screen, it wants to tilt counter-clockwise on its own. When even slightly tilted, it changes colours, saturation and brightness so any accurate colour work is a NO. It failed calibration test with X-Rite screen calibrator. It cannot use extended desktop via http://macparts.de/ibook/. The only benefit is clarity of individual pixels but this is not important to me.

Also this iMac got its 120GB HDD but only 768MB of memory because the second slot is notebook's SO-DIMM which is only available in the nearest PC shop at 256MB. To replace original 128MB DIMM with 512MB you have to take the whole thing apart.

eMac? It became 1.33GHz/1GB/160GB . It awaits delivery of its external VGA connector to get its desktop extended onto 1600x1200 19" Samsung TFT screen. I bet it would rival many DP G4s.

Judge for yourself, but this eMac was the best fun I bought for money!

23. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

That "semi-upgrading" process...is it relatively fool-proof? Cause I may get around to it one day in a few years when my warranty runs out and I have some piece of mind before cracking open the case on this thing.

In other words, is it easy?

24. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I regret many things...

Neo 10GB MP3 Player
    HP Printer (1210 and 2110)
    AxisPad Gamepad
    USB Overdrive
    10GB iPod 1 week before the 3G came out
    A couple of harddrives
    A PC :D

25. lbodnar macrumors regular

Both eMac and iMac HDD, CD/DVD and RAM upgrades are well documented (e.g. http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ and relatively easy for anybody with average PC hardware experience. There are a lot of people around who are comfortable with PC parts so get someone to help you and you are going to be OK. They will be greatful to see Mac inside!

One thing to remember is don't rush, get instructions ready before you go, then move slowly, use proper tools to unscrew "funny" shaped or tight screws and better stop and pop into nearest hardware store for a new screwdriver or TORX bit then try to use scissors and punch a hole in the motherboard. Keep things organised to avoid "bonus" parts in the end. Maybe make notes? If you are not sure if you can do it, put it all back and let things cook in your head for awhile then come back to it.

Changing CPU clock requires some fine soldering tools and proper experience. Again get someone with soldering skills to help you. Take it apart, have a look inside and put it back if you are not sure. Have a beer and think it over. Most probably next time you'll do it. If you have specific question, ask on the Net - people are very helpful here!

Good luck!