Regular 30GB Ipod vs IPod Nano??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mac2004, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Mac2004 macrumors regular

Mar 17, 2004
    Why would a person buy a regular IPod over the IPod Nano? Is the only difference if you are going to watch videos or not? In everyones opinion, if you aren't going to use the IPod to watch videos or movies then is the Nano the way to go?

I would say that I am mostly going to use my IPod for music, podcasts, and listening to audiobooks. What questions should I ask myself before I decide to go with the regular IPod or the IPod Nano? If I go with the Nano which model is the best (2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 32GB)?
  2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Mar 30, 2005
    I always look at the price and what I need to store my music on. I own a 40g ipod photo as that's all I need
  3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    How much music do you want to carry with you? I want my entire catalogue so I need as much as possible, which means 80GB.

I'd like to see where you can buy a 32GB nano though.
  4. Camui macrumors member

Jan 10, 2007
    I'd buy a 32GB Nano in a heartbeat. :p

In all seriousness though, I like the Nano's but their storage capacity is far too small for my music library. At one time it was nearing 30GB. My desktop PC died on me and I lost almost all of it. Now I'm at about 15GB of music. So in closing, personally I am of the mindset that the more storage the better. It's nice to have room to work with and better in the long run.

If you are going to be using it for exercising (running and other in motion activities) you should go for the Nano because it's flash and not an actual hard drive with moving parts.
  5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    It depends... I tend to jog, run, walk fast, climb and all sorts of stuff, so a Nano is the way to go. No moving parts = less chance of it malfunctioning. But I'd also like my complete library with me, and frankly, 80GB isn't enough (I'd keep a few movies/videos in there, mostly documentaries and science animations of cells and stuff)

Where's the touchscreen iPod when you need it? :rolleyes:
  6. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

Jul 31, 2006
    just this side of heaven, CHARLESTON SC
    I bought my husband a nano for christmas. But before christmas he was looking at the prices and hd etc in a catalog.

He said something that makes sense. It is only about a $50 difference. Why not go for the 30 gig and get a bigger hard drive?

You can also play games on the 30 gig but you can't on the nano.

32 gig nano? did miss that one?