Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
okay so i've heard from a lot of people that i need to repair disk permissions pretty often. is there anything else i need to do to keep my machine running well?

i'm totally new to macs and osx, so please speel it out for me.:)

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
I disagree with the statement that repairing permissions should be done regularly. Repairing permissions need only be used as a troubleshooting step, although it is one of the more important troubleshooting steps, as permissions can cause some very big problems.

As for your actual question -- I don't believe there's anything that really is vital to regularly do in order to keep your machine up and running well. Mine has been up and running fine without repairing permissions or doing anything else that often.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I don't even know or understand the repair disk permissions. What about the use of Drive 10, Tech Tools Pro, Norton Utilities, or Disk Warrior. Such as just the routine tests or defragmentation?

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
It's my understanding that disk utilities like Disk 10 are really best for fixing disk problems, so they're good to have on hand in case of problems, but don't really do much in the way of maintenance.

Also, defragmenting is unlikely to give a big performance boost since OS X is unix-based. Unix systems are designed to quickly use information located on different computers, so some fragmentation isn't likely to slow it too much.

I repair permissions about once a month -- I think it helps to keep things running well and avoid problems. Some folks say it's not necessary. I think it doesn't hurt and seems to help.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
it doesn't hurt to repair permissions, sometimes something could be going wrong that you know nothing about, and it will correct it. same for defragging, it's not really necessary but can't hurt. i defrag every 6 months or so... force of habit, i guess.

the biggest thing i think is letting the computer be on and awake at night, i let the screen go to sleep but the computer stays on... your computer does nightly, weekly, and monthly maintenance routines if it's awake at like 2AM. There are ways to run these routines otherwise, like MacJanitor, but if you just leave it on at night, it takes care of itself.

pnw

joeyjojoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
thanks folks, i didn't know os x does auto maintenance. what if i'm doing something at that time? will it delay until it sees there is nothing running or is it just set to do the work at 2 am?

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
It just runs in the background. From memory, I think the its in the vicinity of 3.15. I'll check that when I'm back at the Mac. Anyway, it doesn't matter what you're doing. The daily and monthly scripts are pretty quick to finish. The weekly takes a bit longer. You can see that by running them manually in terminal by
"sudo sh /etc/daily"
"sudo sh /etc/weekly" and same for monthly. Well that's from memory again.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The only time I have had permissions be wrong is after installing software or software updates.

So if you are not installing stuff, you shouldn't need to repair permissions. I tend to do a permissions repair after software updates. This is a lot easier than waiting until something goes wrong or the once a month deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.