regular xbox price drop??

Discussion in 'Games' started by howard, Nov 3, 2005.

1. howard macrumors 68020

howard

do you think the regular xbox price will drop soon? I figured since everyone will be getting a 360 it would.

I can't afford a 360 plus games right now, and i've been stuck with an N64. I'd like to get an xbox soon cause its decently priced, and the games you can get for less than $15. I don't care about having the newest...heck, right now the xbox is pretty new when compared to what I'm used to. And besides I can't afford the best.

anyway, if there were rumors that the price will go down a lot soon I'll probably wait and pick it up when it does.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can imagine a price drop soon, by January at the latest.

The Xbox is a pretty good machine but you'll only hit its full potential if you mod chip it. Which I completely recommend. Its all on the legal side of the law too, I'm just using mine as a DivX player and for the occasional Halo 1 multiplayer.
    Though I'd much rather get a GC myself, they're cheaper and have the better games, IMO.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I agree with everything you said. :) I'm waiting for the post 360 price drop (as you say, I suspect January - MS won't want to canibalize 360 Christmas sales). XBox's are what, $149 new now? I'd guess maybe $119 or so for the new price. Making them around $89 used/refurb from the larger game stores. At that price I will pick one up and mod it for, as you mention, a DivX player, and of course the cheap older games you can get.

I've already got a GC, and I prefer the games for that, but at <$90 it's a good buy. BTW, I'd like to mod an Xbox for media playback stuff only, I'm not intending to pirate games with it, etc. I would like to be able to use Live! though, any recommendations on a mod chip that I can turn off and have it boot like a normal XBox for Live play?

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Id wait to get an ol school xbox if you can (but in anycase, OF COURSE mod the biotch and jack it up with a 200GB HD)

When they crack the 360 and make it moddable, the price (whether high or low) is at least fair. Being able to put a bigger HD and copy games etc would be a very nice thing. Its only a matter of time, and I would think a modded 360 could play original XBOX games, and if thats the case, certainly wait so that the modded machine you own can play ol school and new school.

5. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

what mods can you do, and what do they do for you?

mod is such a general term.

all i want to do is play games on it. how will mods make that experience better?

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Well a mod will let you play games besides what you can "buy" with the XBOX logo on it.

You can install a modchip. Then a larger HD.

Then you FTP to your XBOX emulators like SNES/N64/PSX etc, and all your roms, and now you have an XBOX that plays XBOX games, plus your ROMs and tons of other things too.

A modded XBOX makes the assumption that you can FTP to your XBOX and run "unsigned" code (programs without Microsofts stamp of approval, like emulators), thats the simple way of saying it.

I bought a frends xbox for $80, with one controller. I bought like 2 games, Vice city and Soul Caliber 2. Then I recently modded it with a modchip and bigger HD, now I have 40+ XBOX games on the HD and all of my SNES/NES/MAME/GBA and N64 roms on it too. So I made my XBOX into a gaming machine of a different type.

If you want to be able to play alll this PLUS 360 games, wait until the 360 can be modded in the same way a regular XBOX can. Or buy an XBOX now, a modchip and a HD, swing by xbox-scene.com and go at it.

$100 or less for XBOX
    $50-120 for 80Gb-200GB hd
    $20-60 modchip

7. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

I have an xbox with an 80gb seagate and an xecuter2 mod chip that will be collecting dust come Nov. 22. That's enough space for about 35 xbox games. If anyone's interested shoot me a PM.

8. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

ok, thanks for the extra info, i didn't know you could do so much with the xbox.

I don't play a lot of games, and all the ones I want I can already get without going through the trouble of modding, but its nice to know I can expand the xbox a lot more if i wanted to.

9. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ive owned:

NES ($15 at yardsale, $35 to be fixed = $50 when they were $150) thrown away after being hit too many times for games freezing/dirty, plus I just got:

SNES (xmass the year it came out) I still have it, but I gave a friend the AC adapter, so its useless right now.

N64 (xmass the year it came out) still have it, emulators cant play some games very well or at all, so I gotta keep it. PLus the controllers are still dope.

Dreamcast ($100 on ebay a couple of years ago, 6 games 2 controllers) sold as I got bored with the limited number of games that were any good, you can only play them so many times

XBOX ($80 from friend, one controller) modded with 200GB and Aladdin XT modchip, totalling $170

I am going to keep my XBOX "forever" because it now holds all my ROMs, allowing me to have a gaming box with 5000+ games on it, from NES on up to the newest XBOX games. At no extra cost. So in the future I will always be able to play Chrono Trigger and Vice City.

Now if the 360 becomes moddable in the same fashion, ill switch because its like upgrading, allowing me to play all the stuff I already have plus 360 games. So I see my modded xbox as an investment and not a thing.