rehab center for gamers opened in Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by comictimes, Jul 16, 2006.

1. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

2. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Here's a much easier solution:
    1) Have someone confiscate power cord to electronic gizmo.
    2) Have someone kick your posterior outdoors to get some sun and lock door behind you.

I'm not one to dispute valid addictions (alcoholism, narcotics, etc), but this is just too much.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

but the sun burns....

i'm pretty much your stereotypical pale teenage geek, though i spent a fair amount more time on MR than i do playing games, and as you can see my posting average is 4 posts a day, and i tend to try and keep in about 5-6 active threads and post whenever i feel like it.

anyway, i never play in the day, only past like 9ish and then into the night.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

;)

5. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

personally i'd rather go to the pub than do a gnomeregan run.

6. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

wow... i dont even know what to say.... just wow.....

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

That's probably because gnomer is the worst instance in the game :D. Huge instance and only 2 things worth killing that drop anything good. Well, arguably 3.

I always liked ZF. Oh, and Deadmines! I don't like to play alliance, so I didn't get to play this instance as much as I could, but this is a damn good instance.

Mauradon is kind of fun. The room with the bubbly guys that move ultra slow is so good. Free EXP :D.

Oh, and Shadowfang Keep as well. Fun stuff. I ran it about a million times to get Arugal's robes on my priest :).

Oh god, It's been so long since I've thought about this game... Ah!

At one point in my life I definitely needed this rehab center. While conscious, I played World of Warcraft a lot more than I didn't. I realized how dumb that was and stopped, but if I hadn't of gone away for college I think I would have been lost to the game forever. I left with three 40+ toons, including a lvl 51 druid and those level slow! The other two were a priest and a mage.

I'm so glad to have that game out of my life, but I must admit, it feels good to remember the good instances. :)

However, I will NEVER miss orgrimmar lag ;).

e

9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Hahaha. I hate Gnomer!

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I'm pleased to say that I don't think I'll ever be admitted there, seeing as I have no idea what scem0 was talking about in his post. :)

Is there one for MR addiction though?

11. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Not a laughing matter for some...

But "video game addiction" is a poor diagnosis. The addiction is legitimate, but the hidden conditions (depression, social anxiety, borderline, etc.) aren't addressed properly.

12. cc bcc macrumors 6502

Who decides what's valid?

Your reaction is understandable, and something that addicts probably encounter every day. I must say that I saw an interview with the man who started this rehab program for gamers, and what he said convinced me. He says the treatment is not so much different from drug addicts, because the symptoms are very much similar.

13. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

a gaming addiction i agree is a sign of something beneath- depression, etc. An alcoholic probably has issues unrelated to the substance. People addicted to food often have underlying problems. It's not good enough to just isolate yourself from the addiction

14. cc bcc macrumors 6502

That goes for every addiction, including alcohol. Rehab isn't just about getting away from it, because the addiction in itself isn't the biggest problem most of the times.

15. ericca macrumors newbie

Okay friends, I live in New York. My father is an alcohol addicted. I want to submit my dad into an alcohol facility because he's already hurting me and my family. We can't do anything to stop him. The only way I know is through alcohol rehab. I don’t have any idea. So I am really looking for your help. How can I find an alcohol rehab in Orangeburg, New York? Thanks a lot.

16. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

wow....that one was a lil left field. umm....welcome?

17. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Yep. I was addicted to MUD (the text based precursor of modern MMORPG). I played 25hours a day, 8 days a week:eek: (yeah, hyperbole), but it's true. I played constantly during my college years. Once I spent 49 consecutive hours online and only quit because the server when down:eek:. Nearly flunked out as a result.:( What finally saved me was finding a girlfriend. With someone to socialize with, I no longer when online.

Video game addiction is only the symptom, not the underlying problem.

18. kabunaru Guest

19. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Meh.. rather than things being addictive, maybe we'll finally start talking about people being "addictable" - some more so than others.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What's "addictive" is youth sticking their head in the sand, to avoid life, then acting shocked when opportunity has passed them by.

Anyone spending 49 consecutive hours gaming should have friends with enough guts to arrange an intervention.

:p

21. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wow, he wouldn't even go to the bathroom! I know a lot of WoW addicts, but none that bad (even tho the game in question wasn't WoW I think)