reinstall, keep files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by isakn, Jul 14, 2006.

1. isakn macrumors newbie

hello guys.

i am thinking about reinstalling osx, but because i have about 20gb of music, and alot of other stuff i would like to keep, i am thinking that, that might be deleted if i try to reinstall osx?

do i have to move all of the files i want to keep over to another computer or are there some kind of save profile function in the reinstalling process?

thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You should already have all these files backed up just in case something ever happens to your Mac.

However, there are a couple of install options. An Archive & Install will replace the system files without touching your data whereas an Erase & Install will, as the name suggests, delete everything, reformat your drive, and reinstall OSX.

Before you get started though, why do you want to reinstall in the first place? :)

3. isakn thread starter macrumors newbie

ah, well, i just feels my computers getting alittle bloated with different programs etc, and i have no overview of it. i could just use a little clean install, and start over.

this is my first mac, which i've had in a couple of months now, so i am still getting a bit used to it, and well, i think i made some errors in the beginner-process.

anyway, thanks a bunch for the install & archive feature!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries. Back everything up and you should be all good. FWIW, Macs really don't usually need clean installs. Unlike Windows, their app management is quite simple (from the GUI perspective) so it's easy to cleanly uninstall apps without getting any slowdown. :)

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Although if your running out of disc space like I was feeling like I was yesterday because I only had 8GB left on my 60GB drive. I backed up everything onto 2 dvds and my music onto 2 CDs and did an erase and install. Now I have 39GB free :D.

6. isakn thread starter macrumors newbie

that's also one of the reasons i am trying an uninstall. i really can't locate where the space is blowing up, but an reinstall will be good i think..

7. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Pictures > iPhoto Library > Originals: I had my MB for only a month, and I had 500 MB there!:eek: :D

8. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

If you want to backup why not just backup the whole profile folder under /Users this wont include applications but should take all its preferences and such

9. isakn thread starter macrumors newbie

no, i dont use iphoto .. so there's nothing, just checked it .. :)