Reinstall Mac Mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by bbrosemer, Jun 7, 2006.

1. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

On my 17'' MBP I want to reinstall the Mac Mail, is there anyway to only install Mail without reinstalling the whole OS?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Pacifist

(If I had a penny for every time I'd posted that link....)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Pacifist is great, but before you do that find a file named com.apple.mail.plist and drag it to the Desktop. In most cases, this has the same effect as reinstalling an app. Since Mail is quite integrated within the system, fully reinstalling it may be more problematic than it sounds. :eek:

Why do you want to reinstall it? Have you tried opening it up in a new user account to see if whatever problems you're having carry over? :)

4. imacintel macrumors 68000

And If I had a quarter every time I laughed at a PC!-so sompletely irrelevent,I know...

5. imacintel macrumors 68000

Ahh...the basic help from MJ. He helps lots of people on these forums. Be grateful.

In a differentcase,

you should do this. Mail is integrated with Photo Booth, address book, iPhoto, and Safari. You could screw these up if you actually reinstall it using Pacifist. You may end up installing OS X again, and we know you don't want to.

6. bbrosemer thread starter macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Wait but how do I get access to the mail.plist its only in the OS X install package so do I just click the install OS X and it should come up, and um yeah I kinda removed mail thinking I would need the HD space only to find out later that I am a moron and didnt need the space, but yeah thanks for the help just if anyone can give a little more detailed instructions on how to drag mail onto the desktop that would be greatly appreciated.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You dragged the application to the trash? If so, did you empty the trash?

If the answer is yes to both questions, then Pacifist is worth a try.

8. bbrosemer thread starter macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Yeah ... kinda deleted it, and emptied the trash I jsut figured you could reinstall it again like you can reinstall the other stuff such as garageband, iphoto and iweb.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you've already deleted it then ignore my earlier post. Just use Pacifist to reinstall it from the OSX disc.

In future, try removing a relevant PLIST (or preference) file before completely deleting and reinstalling an app. In most cases, it has the same effect but is much quicker and simpler to reconfigure. :)

10. gggordon macrumors newbie

did you get a reply

read your post i have the same problem did you get a reply???

if so can you share???? gggordon2@verizon.net

11. Abidubi macrumors 6502

You needed 300MB of space? How ridiculously small is your HD? 8GB?