reinstall...need help...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jvaska, May 21, 2003.

1. jvaska macrumors 6502

about a month ago my G4/400/OSX10.2.1/tonsoram crashed while i was using the internet...a new dsl installation that was causing quite a few crashes i think is somehow the culprit...but this time...i was never able to boot back into OSX...

OS9 was still around and i've been using it ever since...

when, i try to boot into OSX i ultimately get a blank gray screen...BUT...this also happens to me when i try to boot FROM THE INSTALLATION CD!!

what do i do?

i have OS9 and OSX on separate hard drives...i was planning to wipe out the OSX drive but i can't even get to it with anything OSX...

i'm quite stumped...any help is much appreciated...jv

ps: until i installed the DSL...OSX was running like a pro on my machine...i was VERY happy with it...

pps: and yes, i've messed with the pram and did the fs -y...whatever it's called thing - i can't remember right now too...

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-jvaska

Hmm.

Can you get to the OS X partition when in 9?

How old is the drive?

It might be beginning to fail.

3. jvaska thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah...it's very easy to get to the drive...

actually, i think that's the problem...it's partitioned into four parts...and at one time or another, each has had osx installed on them (one reason why i need to redo it all)...

it's a new drive...i don't think it's the drive actually...unfortunately, i think it's alot of bad installations...jv

4. pncc macrumors regular

"actually, i think that's the problem...it's partitioned into four parts...and at one time or another, each has had osx installed on them (one reason why i need to redo it all)..."

I agree. That is likely the problem. Your best bnet is to recover any data you can and reformat.

5. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

take all of the files from OS X you need, and wipe the 2nd drive. if it's not that, i don't know what could be the problem.

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Bitch :D :D

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

may be a dumb question... but how long did you wait when booting from the disc.... i mean, sometimes it takes excrutiatingly long....