Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I have a Mac Pro (mid 2012) that came pre-installed with Lion. I have since upgraded to El Capitan and am starting to have a lot of problems with Adobe CS6 running properly, so would like to downgrade back to the original factory installed OS. If I run the recovery software will Lion be reinstalled or will El Capitan be installed? If the latter, is there any way of getting Lion back? (I don't have Time Machine.)

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
I rally can't answer your question. since I keep all my backups on local disks and my OSs on flash drives. But, in regards to PS CS6 I have absolutely no issues - except the inability of Bridge to recognize my camera and import from it. This issue is widely talked about, and Adobe has been very slow to respond. Over on the Adobe forums, a fix is promised very soon.

Lou

scott.n

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2010
I have a Mac Pro (mid 2012) that came pre-installed with Lion. I have since upgraded to El Capitan and am starting to have a lot of problems with Adobe CS6 running properly, so would like to downgrade back to the original factory installed OS. If I run the recovery software will Lion be reinstalled or will El Capitan be installed? If the latter, is there any way of getting Lion back? (I don't have Time Machine.)

The recovery partition would restore El Capitan.

If you have Lion in your Mac App Store history (you might need to option-click to see it) you can download the installer app, then create a USB install drive. Then you could do a fresh install.

Lion is really the nadir of OS X in my opinion, though. Mavericks would be a better choice if you want to downgrade.

thunderclap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I rally can't answer your question. since I keep all my backups on local disks and my OSs on flash drives. But, in regards to PS CS6 I have absolutely no issues - except the inability of Bridge to recognize my camera and import from it. This issue is widely talked about, and Adobe has been very slow to respond. Over on the Adobe forums, a fix is promised very soon.

Lou

During some exports the system will just lock up, and I also have a terrible timeline lag in Premiere, and it all started when I installed OS X 10.11. And I can't install Premiere 6.0.5 (I'm running 6.0.2) to see if that fixes the problem because if I do Premiere crashes on the rare occasion I need to capture HDV from tape. So I definitely need to downgrade. Happy you're not having problems though. :)

Synchro3

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
E.g. Adobe CS 6 is running fine with Mountain Lion (10.8.5). No need to go back to Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.