reinstall OSX to startup like new out of the box?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mopppish, Dec 1, 2006.

1. mopppish macrumors 6502

Hi, all.
    I know how to use the restore discs to reinstall OSX and the included software so that it's like new, but how can I make it shut down after the install so that the next time it's turned on it runs through the set up process (like when you turn a mac on fresh from the store for the first time)?
    It always just runs straight from the install process to the set up process without any chance to shut it down.
    I'm asking because I just sold my ibook to someone, and I want him to be able to put in all of his own info when he first turns it on.
    Thanks!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I'm pretty sure there's a restart required at the end of the restoration process where you could just shut down the machine before it boots into the OS X installation. Not sure if there's a better solution than this.

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

When is asks you to enter your info for setting up an account... I think you can just shut down and it will go back to that next time it's turned on. I guess it doesn't let you issue a shutdown command, but you can force it off by holding the power button for a few seconds.

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There's some way to get the welcome video to play on the next reboot...something about deleting an AppleSetupDone flag, but you'd have to go as far as setting up an account in order to do that.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

When the set up is done, it creates a file called ".AppleSetupDone" in /var/db/, I believe if you remove that and restart you will be prompted to recreate the inital start up. However, you might want to test with this first and make sure that when it creates a user with the UID 502 that user is an admin.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

As soon as the Setup Assistant starts (when it's asking you to select your country), press Cmd-Q and it'll ask whether you want to shut down. The Assistant will then re-run next time you turn on the system.

Trivia: In the .AppleSetupDone file, the setting for "do you want to receive information from Apple?" is called AppleSpam :D

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL! Indeed!

Code:
    <key>[B]AppleSpam[/B]</key>
    <string>NO</string>
    <key>Location</key>
    <string>H</string>
    <key>Occupation</key>
    <string>5</string>
    <key>[B]OthersSpam[/B]</key>
    <string>NO</string>