reinstall osX without touching/erasing windows partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by speakerwizard, Nov 10, 2006.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

so, i gotta reinstall osX cause something is wrong, i think installed wrong at factory or something is up cause its buggy and ive tried EVERYTHING, anyway, if i reinstall OSX, it shouldnt interfeir with my windows partition should it? i assume i should reinstall bootcamp for the boot loader afterwards. anyone tried this?

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I think it's simple enough to do an erase and install just on the partition you select, and I don't think it will affect the boot loader.

Wait for someone else to confirm it, though. I'd hate to be the one resposible for ruining your Windows partition... well, on second thought, I don't care about your Windows partition, but do it for your own sake. :)

3. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

haha, thanks, ill see if anyone else replys, if not ill just do it, and reinstall windows too

4. dunc85 macrumors regular

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

With Bootcamp, it's a virtual partition you set up, which is not like the actual partitions you set when using Disk Utility - I'd be very careful, as I'd imagine they behave quite differently. I'm not 100% sure though.

Hopefully someone can can give a definitive answer.

6. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

a virtual partition!? 1st time ive heard that, and its possible to format a virtual partition? :s

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

There's some stuff on it here:

8. dunc85 macrumors regular

Just to reiterate - I have completely formatted the Mac partition and reinstalled OS X, and it didn't affect the Windows partition.

9. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Interesting but doesn't seem very relevant for the situation here. The original poster is not looking to reconfigure the partitions on the drive, but to reinstall OS X on an already existing partition.

10. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

Not even close. It's a real partition. Not a "virtual" partition... you might be thinking Parallels which uses an image file on the OS X drive. But you can't create 'virtual' partitions with bootcamp.. whatever a virtual partition is.

11. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

thanks dunc85, ill back the whole lot up 1st though just to be safe and ill let ya all know how i get on, if ya care lol