Reinstall Photoshop?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brobson, Sep 25, 2006.

1. brobson macrumors 6502

brobson

My photoshop started messing up. I had duplicates in my filters and couldn't "save for web" anymore. So I am thinking of reinstalling. I have 3 then updates to 5.5 but I am nervous.
    I put everything in the trash (I haven't emptied it)
    but now am wondering if it will affect my saved photoshop projects. Should I just try to help my filter problem?
    Thanks in advance,
    Brenda

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I think you should have your PS files saved and then I suppose reinstalling would be ok. But it probably would be easier to just figure out the problem with your filters folder. Can't you go through Plug-Ins>Filters and see if anything is duplicated in there? I have little reason to suspect that the problem is stemming from the actual Photoshop program and rather something just misplaced or duplicated in the support folders.

And did you say Photoshop v.5.5? Wow.

3. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Pleasssee Help: deadline and photoshop won't work

I hadn't decided whether to reinsstall yet so my photoshop was in the trash and my son emptied it! Stupid of me yes.

Anyway I reinstalled it and now everytime it opens it says: "Could not initialize because of a disk error" A search reveald that for Windows I need to remove photoshop from it's previous file or something with the add/remove in the control panel. I can't find the add/remove and Photoshop wont even open for me to go to help, etc.

Please help me! I have a deadline.
    Brenda

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok what version of Photoshop is this and what OS are you using (OS X version what? Or System 9?).

EDIT: Judging by the Add/Remove control panel I understand you are using Windows :( Shame on you.
    Ok the Add/Remove panel is in the control panels. Go to Start Menu>Control Panels and in there should be the Add/Remove control panel. Open that and find all things Adobe and start removing and then you will have to reinstall Photoshop again.

5. brobson thread starter macrumors 6502

brobson

Photoshop 5.5 Mac G5 10.3.9 1GB ram 1.8 Ghz

running this program in classic

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Ok, in Classic might actually be easier to fix, but you will have to reinstall again. As for the uninstall process you need to find the preferences file in your System Folder>Preferences. With apps like Photoshop you need to make sure that everything is removed because of the licensing stuff going on.