Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Probably for a lot of people this is a "noob"question.
But i have an mac with Lion preinstalled when i bought it.
I made an upgrade through mac appstore redeem to Mountain Lion.
Now if i choose to reinstall MAC OS it will be back with Lion or Mountain Lion??

Thanks a lot

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
You would need to download a copy of Lion and make a bootable USB stick....OR I think apple may still sell Lion on a USB stick, but it was expensive...If you are considering selling it, it should have Lion on it when it goes...Erase and clean install it.

If you perform a non destructive reinstall now, you will get Mountain Lion back.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I think he means using the recovery partition on your system to reinstall the OS. It dosen't require reformatting the hard drive to do that, so it's "non destructive"

Dale

Note: it's still a good idea to make and keep a regular backup of all your files and the OS, too. Some use Time Machine and I use Carbon Copy Cloner. If I'm going to take a screwdriver to a computer I always make and test a full external backup first, then put it in a drawer as insurance to my own foolishness.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If I understand the original question correctly, I believe it depends on whether you enter your Apple ID when you go through the initial installation process.

Your system is registered as having come with Lion, your Apple ID would force the install to be Mountain Lion since you purchased it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.