Reinstall Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by aphexii, Aug 30, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502

Any way to just reinstall Safari? Wasn't sure how intertwined into the computer it was, or if its treated the same as any other application.

Safari has been amazingly unstable these past few days, crashes about once an hour right now. I had some plugins installed in the past (Glims, Inquisitor, Safari Stand, Saft - all at different times). They are all uninstalled, but Safari is just super unstable even without them.

Any ideas how to best uninstall completely and reinstall?

2. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Just download and reinstall from here.

3. macrumors regular

dragonmantek

webkit :D

i love webkit, faster than safari, and firefox too.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Is the file just an update or the full application? (As in - Can i use AppCleaner to fully remove Safari - then use the package linked to reinstall?)

I just ran it to install over the current safari, so we'll see if that helps out, but was curious if it doesn't, if that same package can be used for a full uninstall/reinstall.

5. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

It should be the full thing.

In theory you should be able to just drag and drop the Application into your Applications folder, even if you AppCleanered it (the files removed by AppCleaner will be rewritten to the hard drive when the Application is started the first time.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the download from Apple inside the DMG is a PKG, not the .app directly (could pacifist be used to extract the .app from within the installer?)

7. macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Run the installer. I'm just saying that even if you delete an app with AppCleaner, it is very easy to bring back. Sorry if that was confusing.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

NP, appreciate the help.