Reinstalled fresh Mac and downgrading

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hbksabhi, Jul 15, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

1. Can we reinstall mac osx again after some months of usage , like i use to do on my windows pc for a fresh new pc look

2. And if i upgrade to new os example Mavericks , then can i later downgrade to mountain if system starts running slow ?

2. macrumors 68030

Steve121178

1. Yes of course. What a strange question.

2. Unlikely. Why would the system run slow and why do you think downgrading your OS is a solution to performance issues? If you have any doubts about 10.9 just wait 6 months or whatever until 10.9.1, 10.9.2 etc are available to fix things.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Actually im planning to buy mac air but cant get the 8gb model in my country so have to go with 4 gb one

And if in future new os comes and requires more memory so will i be able to downgrade back to mountain lion and reinstall it as goos as new one

4. macrumors 68030

Steve121178

4GB is the absolute minimum. If you can't get the 8GB option then I would re-consider your purchase. I wouldn't be happy buying a new machine in 2013 with just 4GB on-board...

5. thread starter macrumors regular

The only option then is retina mbp for 400$ more

6. macrumors member

ylrd

1. You can, but it's not necessary. OS X isn't like Windows. You don't need to wipe your data/format the HD/reinstall everything every year because the OS just starts sucking; OS X cleans itself up.

2. Yeah, but why in the world would you do that?

7. macrumors regular

To answer #2, software incompatibility. I use apps that don't work as well in 10.7/10.8 and since it's a fairly niche market with small developers it's taken a while to get that compatibility.

So if your software says it'll work in 10.9 mostly, you may have to try it and see if it works for you. This has happened to me and keeps me on older versions of OSX.

8. macrumors member

ylrd

This is why I never install the new OS as soon as they release it. I usually wait until v.1-2ish.

And when it comes to software compatibility, this website is pretty useful.

9. macrumors regular

I can tell you that when you do purchase Mavericks that not only can you re-download it at any time you can also put it on up to 5 other devices/machines. in other words, you could purchase Mavericks, lose your computer, replace your computer and re-download Mavericks to the replacement at no cost. Or if you have more than one Air/Pro/iMac/MacMini you ONLY have to purchase Mavericks once. For $20.:apple:

10. macrumors 65816

Install in a VM and test for compatibility then. This way you keep your known good configuration and can continue testing Macericks as updates are made to the OS and applications.

11. macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Yes you can reinstall OS X.

2. Mavericks is developer beta right now, that mean it's meant for use by developers to make their apps compatible with it, not for regular users.

12. macrumors member

You can get any of Apple's laptops with 8GB of ram...

13. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's a built to order option on the MacBook Air so might not be available in all countries.

----------

You could also go for the non-retina MacBook Pro and upgrade the RAM to 8GB yourself.

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Not in India

They import stuff and don't allow online purchase and customise options

----------

For this one upgrade I loose a lot more things
    1 fast sad
    2 battery
    3 epic form factor
    4 better resolution
    5 non glare display
    To name a few