reinstalling a hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ms. B, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Ms. B macrumors newbie

A while back I asked for help with my son's Powerbook G4 - the hinge broke on it during finals week at University. Well - we got the hinge fixed but - in order to study and complete work on his laptop he had the hard drive "extracted" by the mac techs at ND. Now with the hinge fixed he'd like to reinstall the hard drive but attempts to follow the instructions in the manual have failed. Can you point me in the right direction to fix this? As of now he can't use the laptop at all. Secondly, is there anything he can do to recover the fortune in iTunes he lost when the extracted the hard drive?

Thank you.

2. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

xlr8yourmac has a guide for Titanium powerbook HD replacement, ifixit's guides are really good, Apple has powerbook diy guides online also.

Or did you mean something else.. like a local repair place?

As for iTunes, unless he backed up the files somewhere, or the HD was only removed and was ok and not wiped, or it was wiped and you want to shell out $100 for something like Disk Warrior to try and recover them (you'd really want to do this before installing a new system on the disk), then probably no.