Reinstalling iTunes on a Mac...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ejtrowbridge, Jun 14, 2005.

1. ejtrowbridge macrumors newbie

I have been having some difficulty lately with my iPod Mini. It's been terrific so far, but when I connected it like I usually do, it was unable to update my iPod. iTunes kept freezing and it eventually caused my iPod to freeze up. Fortunately, I was able to restore my iPod using the Apple iPod Update Software, but my iTunes was goofy.

So, I used spotlight to find all the folders with iTunes and dragged them to my trash folder, so I could reinstall iTunes (I backed up all my music, don't worry), but when I downloaded the newest version of iTunes it wouldn't let me install it. It told me that iTunes was already on my computer. I was like, "Ok...", so I put in my iMac G5 disks that came with the computer, and reinstalled the bundled software hoping it would put iTunes back on.. it didn't. So, I put in my iLife 2005 disk, and tried installing iTunes, but it gave me the same error telling me it was already installed.

So now, I am left with no iTunes (when I do a search in spotlight, a disconnected link to the former iTunes software comes up, but it's gone), and I can't install any new version!

What a mess... :( Anyone that can help me get iTunes back?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Do you have a screenshot of the Spotlight window showing these...?

And, did you empty the Trash after moving all iTunes related files to it...?

3. ejtrowbridge thread starter macrumors newbie

sure...

Here is a snap shot of my Spotlight window. As you an see, it points to a broken link to the iTunes application, and a couple of my music folders still on my harddrive.

[​IMG]

And this is a snapshot of my trashcan where the iTunes app still sits. I am unable to erase it ("This application is in use"), but when I drag it to my desktop, and I click on it it says, "Application is damaged or incomplete"... here's the file's info:

[​IMG]

Here is the error message that I get when I drag that application from my trash to my desktop, and I try running iTunes by double clicking it..

[​IMG]

:(

4. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

i would think you could just download itunes from apples site for mac and install that with no probs..

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think if you get rid of the small damaged iTunes.app (i.e. empty trash), that you should be able to reinstall iTunes, either from the iLife DVD or a fresh download.

6. ejtrowbridge thread starter macrumors newbie

i thought so too...

Yeah, I thought so too.. however when I download it from the website, I am prompted for which applications I want to install... I am unable to check either iTunes or the documentation! Look... I can't check anything...

[​IMG]

And so when I try to continue, I get this message...

[​IMG]

I really want my iTunes and iPod back... :(

7. ejtrowbridge thread starter macrumors newbie

I am unable to empty my trashcan.. this is the error message I get...

[​IMG]

iTunes Helper? iTunes is not even functioning anymore, let alone "in use"...

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Is the iTunes widget in Dashboard running...?

9. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

thats spooky... DELETE EVERYTHING RELATED TO ITUNES on your comp via spotlight and then try to reinstall itunes.. use secure empty trash

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You can also kill the iTunes Helper (which I guess is started on login, and is the small part of iTunes.app that stops you from emptying the trash) by opening Activity Monitor (it's in /Applications/Utilities) and find the iTunes Helper process in the list and click the Quit Process button. Then you should be able to empty trash. Restart your Mac and try reinstalling iTunes. ;)

11. ejtrowbridge thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it just says, "iTunes is not open.."

I'm securely deleting everything now... keeping my fingers crossed..
    :confused:

12. ejtrowbridge thread starter macrumors newbie

Alas! No! It is still failing! So, NOW iTunes is COMPLETELY removed from my system (check out my new Spotlight search), BUT I am still unable to put the checkmarks next to iTunes so I can install it! Nooo! :(

[​IMG]

HOWEVER... iTunes must still be on my computer because when I try reinstalling iTunes 7.1 on my system (through iLife 05), it tells me this:

[​IMG]

13. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

And you have restarted your Mac after the last deleting round?

Edit: And since Spotlight has been reported to miss the occasional file, you don't have any iTunes.pkg or iTunes4.pgk files in /Library/Receipts/? (The Library folder on root directory of your HD not in your home folder.)

Edit2: Too slow, again... ;)

14. ejtrowbridge thread starter macrumors newbie

DID IT!!

I did open Spotlight and searched more into, and found that there was still some debris from iTunes hanging in there... more specifically, there were two files named, "iTunes4.pkg", that once I securely deleted them, I was able to re-install iTunes!

Thank you guys so much for your great support! You guys were a great help in being very specific, and replying super quickly. This is why this forum rocks so much. Thanks again guys! :D