Reinstalling Mac OS X on new MBP to gain some disk space??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mikesk8, Sep 19, 2006.

1. mikesk8 macrumors member

hi,

Im planning to buy mbp this month and I was thinking if mac osx re-installation to delete some not important stuff (demo apps, additional languages, etc.) is a good option? what do you think? ..

2. adamsen87 macrumors member

I've done it on my mac's and will in the future I will never need all the languages and etc installed from factory.

//adamsen87

3. matttrick macrumors 6502

do you need to reinstall the OS to do this? or can you just remove things? anyone have a link to a guide on how to clean all the crap you dont need off there?

4. adamsen87 macrumors member

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i recommend a re-install. You don't need a guide; just back any important documents up, insert disc 1, restart, and when you hear the startup chime, hold C. Do a fresh install, and customize it, removing any unneeded stuff. simple.

its much more user friendly than windows

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I just did that and saved heaps of space.

I would recommend doing a custom installation of Mac OSX and remove everything you do not need.

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Exactly this. In the list of printer drivers installed you can remove a bunch of them most likely depending on your needs. You'll at least free up a Gig of space, if not more (probably way more).

8. mikesk8 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for your replies:) it seems that re-installing is a right option for me. ..we will see soon:)