Reinstalling OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ghall, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I need to reinstall OS X on my MacBook Pro. What's the best way to completly restore the system folder? I tried Upgrade on the install disk, but that didn't work.

2. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

why do you need to reinstall OS X?

the best way is to carbon copy the entire thing to a external, and install, and use migration

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I need to reinstall because several of my PPC apps aren't running.

To carbon copy, do I just drag everything in Macintosh HD to an external?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Archive & Install is what you want.

However, are you sure that your PPC apps will run under Rosetta? Is there no "Intelized" update for them?

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

They used to run under Rosetta, until I um...screwed something up. And it's definitaly NOT the programs themselves since I tried to reinstall.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Verify that the apps don't work when logged as another user before you launch into a reinstall..

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

8. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Agreed. Archive and Install has always solved every problem I've ever had (including the Security Update fiasco from a couple months back).

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Archive & Install is intended to solve vexing problems with your system that can't be solved by less radical means. In most instances, using it is like using a sledgehammer to kill a gnat. There is no doubt that it will work. There is a lot of doubt that it is necessary.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I would imagine this thread is related to this thread by the same poster...Monolingual borked Rosetta on his machine. My understanding is that an Archive and Install is required in order to fix this problem, but his other thread seems to suggest that he's done this and is still having problems.

11. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

No, I tried something a little less drastic, and I still had some problems. I wasn't sure how to archive and install so I was asking here. I got it working now. Everythings fine, thanks for the help everyone. You pratically saved my neck!

12. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Agreed. But if you have the sledgehammer and it doesn't hurt anything to use it, why not go ahead with it?

But yeah, my post was assuming that all the basics had been tried (permissions repair, Applejack, disc warrior, etc.).