Reinstalling PowerPC Architecture

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chelseany23, Jul 9, 2006.

1. chelseany23 macrumors newbie

In a stroke of brilliance, I deleted the PowerPC architectures from my MacBook. Now apps like Office can not run. Is there a way to reinstall the architectures or otherwise get those apps running again?

If not, is it possible to reinstall OSX but keep all the files and settings as they exist already?

2. adamb100 macrumors regular

Just pop in your OS X disk and do a archive install. :)

3. chelseany23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response.

So after doing an archive and install, will my OS look the same, or will everything just be in this folder and I need to relocate everything?

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

What Archive Install does is save your home folder (~/) (the one with your music, pictures etc folders) and wipe out your System folder and your main library (/Library). If you have any plugins etc installed in these 2 locations (System and /Library) they will be saved into a folder named Previous Systems and from there you can manually put them back where they belong. But when you boot up after the Archive Install everything will look as you left it.

--Cheers

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Live and learn, but you are not the only one to do this ... since people have posted warnings not to do this.

And for doing it ... [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Smart people learn from making stupid mistakes, while stupid people are doomed to repeat them again and again.