Reinstalling Tiger, how do i properly back up files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VE3NEF, Dec 10, 2006.

1. VE3NEF macrumors member

So i'm going to do a clean reinstall of Tiger, because my computer has been running rather slow the past few months. I have a Lacie hardrive, with the lacie back-up software. So what would be the easiest way to get all the important stuff back onto my computer?

I want:
    Photos
    Contacts
    Adium Contacts
    Bookmarks from Safari
    (I store my itunes stuff on my lacie, so i don't have to worry about that)

Would it be easier if i just dragged all the stuff i wanted onto the Lacie, then drag it back when i'm done re-installing?

Any ideas, comments, would be appreciated!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think so, because backing up all your excess settings would just clutter it back.

3. VE3NEF thread starter macrumors member

lol, great point. So can I just drag all my contacts off my computer and put them in a folder on my lacie? Can I do the same with with my adium contacts?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I would suggest trying a few more things before you reinstall. This is almost never necessary.

5. aquajet macrumors 68020

I agree. Wiping and rebuilding seems silly without trying other things first. I use Cocktail to run periodic tasks and clean out old log and cache files. Maybe try that first and check your activity monitor for any processes that are using up excessive resources at idle.

6. VE3NEF thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I understand you're point. I use System Optimizer X for cleaning stuff up. When I first got it, it worked well and I noticed a difference. But lately my computer has been laggy, especially when playing games.

I'll give cocktail a whirl before I try the reinstal!

7. VE3NEF thread starter macrumors member

ok, i tried cocktail and i didn't notice a difference.
    Should I just do the reinstall then?

edit: Oh yeah, what would be the best way of moving my iphoto library, so that I still have my folders that i put photos in?

8. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Try OnyX. It Optimize your Mac OS by cleaning unnecessary stuff and optimize your hard drive, and it's Free!

http://www.titanium.free.fr

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Also, check your hard drive with Disk Utility. If it reports the need for any repairs, let us know.

10. VE3NEF thread starter macrumors member

Good call! It does need repairs!

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
    Checking HFS Plus volume.
    Checking Extents Overflow file.
    Checking Catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking Catalog hierarchy.
    %)
    Checking Extended Attributes file.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Volume Bit Map needs minor repair
    Checking volume information.
    Invalid volume free block count
    Invalid volume free block count
    uld be %@ instead of %@)",2)
    The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

So how do I repair it? I'll do some searching as well.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Try booting off the tiger install disk then going into disk utility in one of the menus from their you can repair the disk.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Right, this works, or also running fsck in Single User Mode.

I recommend running it until it reports no repairs have been made. Occasionally, it requires more than one pass. If Disk Utility says that the disk could not be repaired, all is not lost, but you'll need heavier artillery.

13. VE3NEF thread starter macrumors member

I did the repair thing via my tiger disk. It worked fine... maybe i'm just loosing my mind about this 'computer slowing down thing'. I remember things just being generally faster, like iTuens, and iPhoto. But maybe since i have over 45 gigs of iTunes, and almost 4000 photos that the reason its lagging because I just don't have the power. I DO however remember playing Homeworld 2 on max settings, and not having it lag. Now, it lags like hell.

Maybe, I'm just going insane like the doctor said I would?

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, if you'd wiped the drive and reinstalled that would have been a certain sign of insanity. ;)

Are you keeping iPhoto or iTunes open most of the time? The former especially is a real horsepower hog, with large photo libraries in particular. And even if you open, then close these applications, OSX is going to create virtual memory swap files on disk which don't get deleted until you restart the Mac. That will slow things down. So try rebooting if the Mac is getting really draggy.

Also, I'm wondering now how much free hard drive space you've got.

15. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Wow.. okay so i went to that Titanium site and Downloaded and ran maintenance, and now my macbook is performing extremely slow..

Any one know why that would be?
    I had it run everything it could run basically, and had it 'optimize' everything fully, which at the time led me to believe it would run better, not worse :(

16. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Have you restarted since you ran that program?

17. Star Destroyer macrumors 6502

Yes i didnt directly afterwards, and it took sooooooo long to boot back up, and then the top bar took like 5 minutes to load and it beachballed the whole time!

and now the icons always appear in a wierd order up top now.. and everything slow.

I rechecked permissions on my own and nothing came up. I dont really know what to do after that since it was always fine before. It started to lag a tad, so i Dl'd and ran that on the suggestion to speed operations up a bit and now its slower then ever..
    Did it delete something it shouldnt have during the maintenance?

i am confused hahaha
    thanks for the help