Relational database design tool

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rogersmj, Mar 11, 2007.

1. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm looking for something on OS X that will allow me to make visual representations of relational databases. Right now I'm using DBDesigner through Parallels with Windows, but it's buggy and of course it's annoying to have to use Windows. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Do you want a design tool or a presentation tool?

If you want a design tool, then you have to use the graphical editor which is a part of your database management system. If you just need a presentation tool, then OmniGraffle is probably your best bet.

3. FrancisSawyer macrumors newbie

a Mac wasteland

That's not really true, and it assumes that every DBMS comes with a graphical editor, which also isn't true.

A stand-alone DB design tool has the advantage of supporting numerous vendors' databases, not to mention working without having to install a whole DBMS. There's a huge shortage of such tools on the Mac. I still have to use ER Studio under Windows, because the only similar tool I could find on the Mac (SQLEditor) will soon be defunct because it doesn't work under SnowLeopard.

So, good luck buddy. As far as I can tell, Windows apps are the only viable option right now.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which MacOS X DBMS, either professional or consumer, lacks a graphical editor?

5. johnpeace macrumors newbie

MySQL?

PostgreSQL?

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MySQL Workbench.

The PosgreSQL project does not develop its own, but endorses several GUIs.

Other questions?

7. noyb1234 macrumors newbie

YUCK! I would hardly call MySQL Workbench a design tool! That is an insult to real database design tools. The MySQL developers focus on their database, as they should. Workbench is barely even an afterthought.

Dia diagram is something I use often on my Mac for anything including database diagrams. Installing it on Mac is somewhat painful like most common developer tools.

If you can run Windows in a virtual machine on your Mac then Dezign for Databases is definitely the way to go. It is second to none!