Relationship/appearance predicament

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by asherman13, Feb 13, 2006.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Alright, so I'm going to a regional youth group convention this coming weekend, Friday afternoon 'till Sunday night. There's a girl there who I know pretty well, and we've been talking/flirting online, on the phone, and via text messages for the past few months. We were friends before, but I sat next to her on the plane ride back from the group's international convention during winter break, and we've really only hit it off (communicated with each other every day, somehow) since then. I really like her, and I'm not sure as to her feelings towards me.

Saturday morning, I woke up to a decent-sized breakout of pimples around my chin. I've been washing my face like a madman since then, and I've seen some improvement, but nothing significant. Do you guys know of any way to get rid of them by Friday morning? I'm sure she won't mind them too much, but still...I mind, very much.

Any advice towards what to do regarding any moves I should or shouldn't make this weekend would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

EDIT A few weeks ago she told me that she really wanted somebody to get her a dozen roses and a card for Valentine's Day, so I was kind of planning to have some sent to her anonymously (for the time being; if she asks I might tell her). Good idea?

2. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

The roses are a great idea. As for the pimples, how about sacylic (sp.?) acid wipes or creams? Just make sure to wash with plenty of soap so that your skin isn't oily or dry, and use the sacylic stuff for cleaning. Benzoyl Peroxide is a great idea as a lotion during the day or night, too.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You could maybe try growing a goatee? That might hide the little buggers, and you never know she might like it! If you don't fancy that, when I was younger and at that spotty age I used to give them a dab of TCP before I went to bed. I seem to remember that helped with them a bit.

I'm sure though that if your lady friend does like you, she won't let a couple of spots put her off you. And don't worry about any 'moves' – you seem to have done alright so far just being yourself, I'd just carry on in the same vein and see how things develop. ;)

4. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Thanks.

The Benzoyl Peroxide I've got; what's TCP?

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

It may not be a short term solution for you, but Avon makes this vanishing cream that is amazing. My skin is clear, but whenever i get a minor breakout, you apply a tiny portion once a day and its gone the next day or the day after. Order that for the future, you won't be disapointed.

Now as for the current situation, she won't mind. Just be yourself and she and you will both forget they are even there. If you dwell on them, it will show to you both, and that is what will cause problems, not the zits themselves. ;)

6. penguinman macrumors member

penguinman

i like to use any sort of organic soap to wash my face. i have never used any sort of special face wash. but with organic soap my face doesnt dry out and i get to wash off all the oil and dirt. but pimples arent that big of a deal, dont let it get to you. life really is mind over matter.

stop beating around the bush for a FEW months!! you dont need to make any moves, but quit talking and start hanging out.. ask her if she wants to do something, or invite her to a friends house. find something you both would like to do and go do that! then you'll stop worrying about your pimples or what to do for valentine's day..

i wouldn't let the anonymous person get the flowers, it should be you!

7. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I had a client who did skin care, and her only word of (free) advice was lay off mass produced soaps (I believe she mentioned "glycerine soaps" but I make stuff up in my head sometimes...) and use a natural soap. This has seved me well - long term. But you don't have that kind of time! Go for the acid and benzoyle peroxide!

I also agree with the approach above- start hanging out. Just the two of you. you can get a better feeling for what she thinks of you and what you think of her! And give her the flowers from you!

8. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Well, there's no predicting when pimples might hit... pimples are hormonally driven, and your hormones are prolly acting up :) ... so, odds are whenever you get close to meeting her, pimples will proudly spring forth :(

There is no OTC countermeasure that's really worth much of anything. You need a more permanent solution... one is simply growing out of it (hormone levels fall), but you don't have that kind of time on your hands, I recon :)

The other is Accutane, basically a form of high-dose vit. A, which is not without its side effects. Visit a dermatologist and discuss the issue with them, don't rely on a message board for medical advice (even if it is from OldCorpse :) ). Good luck, and remember: be confident, confidence breeds success with the opposite sex :D

9. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

That might be a bit of a problem, as she lives about 2 hours away from me. She is, however, a long distance type of girl, as she was in a sort of relationship with a guy in Chicago that she met over the summer for a few months. She also likes things to happen "in person", so this is pretty much my opportunity. I'll be seeing her more often over the next few months, (January is a down time for our youth group) so we'll see how things go in that respect.

As for the flowers, I really don't want to blatanly give it away that I like her before I see her, so perhaps I could have the card say something along the lines of "I know you wanted these, so I thought I'd get them for you..." or something like that.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's an antiseptic – I didn't think that you might not have it over on your side of the Atlantic. This is the stuff – I don't know if you have an equivalent product over there but it should give you an idea what I'm talking about.

11. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

You said that you flirt a lot. Why hide that you like her? Just go for it.

12. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Thanks for all the input! I've always used Dove soap, and its pretty much always worked for me, so I'll probably stick with it unless you guys have a particular reason why not to. As for creams and such, I have Clearasil and AcneFree, the latter of which works best, as it has (just checked the tube) benzoyl peroxide and saliclyc acid.

Any other pointers, for both the acne and the weekend?

EDIT
    That's a good point.

13. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Anybody have any ideas as to what to put on the card? I'm def. gonna go with "Thought you might like these..." or something like that, but should I add anything else?

And how should I sign it?

14. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

As for the girl bit, I have no idea. You know where they got the idea for "The 40 Year Old Virgin" from...

As for the acne thing, the worst thing you can do is scrub it constantly. That actually dries out the skin too much. More dry skin means more stuff to clog your pores with, and the oil is coming back anyway. Dove is one of the best soaps to use, but wash the area gently. Excess oil gets washed away, skin gets moisturized, and the stuff in the acne under your skin doesn't get spread around to cause red patches because you're rubbing gently. Oh yeah, drink lots of water too...

P.S. I'm not 40... :p

15. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

I'm assuming the water just helps with the moisture stuff?

16. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Put a bit of toothpaste on the pimples before you go to bed and they'll be gone in the morning. I don't know if this works, but I read it in one of my sister's girly magazines. :eek: I also recommend giving your face a clean with an exfoliating scrub (Nivea for men has a really good one) once or twice a week, no more though as it will dry your skin out.

This thread may be of some use. ;)

17. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Toothpaste? Really? Does it matter what kind? Or what flavor? I hope mint is ok...:p

18. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Water helps with the moisturizing bit. As for the toothpaste, I've heard it works, but it may also be one of those urban legends. Presumably though, the fluoride in the toothpaste would act as a drying agent. The water definitely works, though it's more of a long term solution, and you need to keep it up. Besides, it's good for you! :)

19. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I don't think the flavour matters. You could always try Windex as seen in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. :D

Seriously though, both of these substance would dry the pimple out, thus reducing their appearance. This is basically how the "vanishing" treatments work anyway I believe.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

You could just wear a bag over your head.

Seriously though, don't worry so much about it. I know it's hard not to be self-conscious, but you have to think here:

1) she's already met you and the first impression is out of the way, so your appearance isn't as critical anymore

2) ask yourself if you'd really want to be with a girl who would suddenly sour on you because you got a pimple on your chin

21. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Ok I have the perfect stuff for you...seriously any breakout will be gone overnight and its not a hoax. I see you live in San Fran so if you could find an Avon store or Avon rep by tomorrow, then your problem could be gone by Friday! The main ingredient in the stuff is Salicylic Acid 2.0%.....so if you can find any product at a local drug store with SA then you should be fine as well. Give it a day or two at the most!

The stuff from Avon that works literally overnight for me is: Avon Clearskin cleansing pads OR the Clearskin purifying astringent OR Mark in your dreams overnight blemish treatment for misbehaving skin! Any three of these products have been my life saver in a crisis and makes me never worry even if I have something to attend weeks away in advance. I never have to worry now--face is always flawless!! :)

22. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I agree with the salcylic (spelling?) acid suggestion. But as for water helping you moisturise, nope. Use a water based moisturiser (NOT oil based). Most likely you'll find several moisturisers that specifically mention they're for people with acne or zits. Beyond that, just don't mess with it. Your face is tissue that can only heal itself so fast, so if you pick at it, and scrub it too much, then that will just inflame it, and take longer to heal.

Oh, I totally forgot to mention that the moisturiser I use has a lot of vitamin E in it. That helps the healing process.

23. asherman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Thanks for the help, everybody.

Unfortunately the roses fell through due to cost circumstances. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I could do in place of that? She told me a while ago that she wanted "a dozen roses and a card" for Valentine's Day.

Would a gifted song via iTunes be bad?

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Send her a 1/2 dozen roses if you can't afford a full dozen.

Better yet, get her just one - and deliver it in person. Two hours is nothing...

Hurry up though mate - the day beckons and florists are bloody busy on V-Day.

Otherwise, good advice has been given to you in this thread - so I won't add to it.

Good luck.

25. nascarcm24 macrumors newbie

flowers= over rated

make her a big huge heart sign like out of red poster board saying like, "be mine?" or something like that. btw Flowers are way over rated.