Relatively urgent: iPod 2G with Windows

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by atodd, Jan 17, 2004.

1. atodd macrumors member

OK, i have searched everywhere but all the documents I found were old. here goes.

I have a 20GB second-gen iPod (touchwheel, no dock connector) and am looking to sell it. However, most of the people interested are Windows users.

I have read that you can flash the firmware with this Apple-made updater. This supposedly brings the iPod to the Windows 1.3 version of the firmware. Also this 3rd-party one is available, but it's not an Apple one so I don't trust it so much.

If I do one of these updates (please tell me if either one works, and which one is better, as I have not had the opportunity to try, only having a Mac myself), I assume that it will be compatible with Windows fully. Now, I have two questions that could make or break a deal.

1. Will this flashed iPod work with iTunes for Windows?
    2. Will it still work as a FireWire HD under Windows?

Thanks anybody who answers, it'd be great to hear about this.

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I read a while back that using iTunes 4.1 for windows with the iPod converted to windows can stop it working or something along those lines.

3. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

4. atodd thread starter macrumors member

Nobody can say that it definitely DOES work with iTunes? i've heard reports both for and against that.

argh

5. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Well.... try it then. If it doesn't work just make it a macPod again. It's very easy.