Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moscaflita

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
Zeus error message

First of all I'd like to say my thanks to Cindori for all the efforts developing such awesome apps.:D

I bought a XFX 6870 with dual fan after reading a lot of successful histories here.

I did the 6870 Injection before use of Zeus.

Everything is working, except After Effects CS6, but I'm going to re-install Mountain Lion.

I really want to Flash this videocard to have a boot screen.

I did all the steps such as installed this videocard in a PC, saved the ROM with GPU-Z, than installed back on mac.

I did the process with Zeus and I got this message:

dd: bs must be between 1 and 9223372036854775807
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "fixrom.py", line 110, in <module>
op_rom.fix()
File "fixrom.py", line 90, in fix
self.data[-1] = chr(0x100 - sum)
ValueError: chr() arg not in range(256) (1)

Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance:cool::cool:
moscaflita

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
It's because of variations in the firmware that the script does not handle. You can visit netkas forums for guide to manually modify the firmware, or check out Freya in my signature for a pre-modified firmware.

paradium

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
LA
efi64 8800GT into a 1,1

howdy all... llllllong time reader, first time poster.

just nabbed a 8800gt out of a 2,1 and i'm trying to stuff it into my 1,1 running lion 10.7.4 (or snow leopard). i don't yet have a stable boot camp.

i got Zeus 2.8, found a file called 8800GT32.ROM (unknown source) and ATY_Init.kext... installed the kext, rebooted with the card in slot 1 and setup screen sharing with a macbook... :cool:

nothing appears in the box on the flash tab of zeus (supposed to show the card?), and nothing happens when i load the ROM and click FLASH NVIDIA. clicking DUMP ROM asks "are you sure you only have..." and then just spins. :confused:

i have a six of stella sitting in the fridge if there's anyone in LA who wants to take over or much gratitude for a forum member with advice. :D

thanks!

UPDATE: (27 minutes later...)
okay, ask and ye shall receive. i had installed the kext wrong (?) by dragging and dropping it somewhere (following another lost post). i found Kext Drop and installed again, the machine booted right up and now i'm Civvin' large.

ssssssooo... that was unexpected. can an unflashed EFI64 geforce 8800GT work in a 1,1 or do i have a EFI32 card?

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
2,1 and 1,1 are both EFI32 so i'm not sure i'm following you

but sty_init enables nvidia cards pre 10.7.3 when Nvidia joined the game, so either way you are going to get to desktop

paradium

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
LA
okay, so i have a 2,1 and the card is from a 3,1.

card works ducky in lion. doesn't work at all in snow leopard without the 7300, and i need snow leopard.

zeus doesn't work ever, though i did get a save.rom out of it.

kext drop worked fine in lion, just spins forever on snow leopard. manually installed the snow leopard kext with these instructions: http://www.macbreaker.com/2012/01/how-to-manually-install-kexts.html and rebooted, still no screen.

main question for this thread, however, is what up with zeus?

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
Zeus is no longer supported (by me) it works fine with older ATI cards. Just flash in windows.

paradium

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
LA
Cindori never fixed the "-4 -5 -6" switch to allow overwriting of roms that don't match. You can use nvflash in a command line mode and use those switches, or flash it in windows/DOS.

can't seem to keep my boot camp from crashing long enough to actually run nvflash. i've swapped cards, installed operating systems, pored tomes, and pulled hair now for the better part of 3 days and i have to know when i'm beaten...

i know there are at least two forum members here in la who are pros at flashing this card, but i'm too n00b here to message them directly. perhaps one of them wouldn't mind contacting me, especially when there's beer on the line.

cheers all!

paradium

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
LA
what kind of beer?

I don't drink cheap stuff

good service demands good beer:

hopnotch.png

doccelo

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2009
Exotic patches

So if one day Netkas decides to stop updating the QE/CI patches for ATI 4890 cards, is there a more permanent solution for us Mac Pro users when a new software update rolls around? I wouldn't mind doing it myself but don't have any idea where to start and what to do.

Apple already left us early Mac Pro adopters in the dust with Mountain Lion (sort of, I know you can hack around and get it to work...). I want to squeeze as much apple juice out of this machine as I can.

Thanks

Cindori

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Sweden
i think netkas has stopped doing them actually?

anyway, there is a guy at netkas forums called "fantomas1" who is doing them now and if you track down his posts, I remember him detailing the procedure (or asking for it atleast) in a topic somewhere.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Overclock AMD GPU's

What is Zeus?

Zeus is a Mac GPU Flashing Tool. It can write a new firmware on to your graphic card.
But it can do much more then that. You can patch your drivers to add support for excotic cards,
install injectors by Netkas, and save the firmware from your Nvidia card.

Zeus is the replacement for ATI Flashing Tool.

New Features in Zeus:

Modify 4870 / 4890 firmware to add EFI
Disable Power Warning
Overclock some Nvidia cards

Download

You can find my blog at http://groths.org

Thanks

My thanks to specially, Netkas, Rominator and Pipomolo for providing with key elements in creation of this app.

My even more special thanks to Donaters, for without them the app would have stayed at ATI Flashing Tool 1.0

Donate
You can donate to Zeus and it makes me very happy.
[url=http://groths.org/zeus/donate.png]Image[/URL]

HOW TO FLASH:

Nvidia:

Flashing and Dumping Nvidia only works on the Nvidia card in the bottom slot. It's recommended not to use these functions with two Nvidia inside the computer.
1. Open Zeus
2. Select Nvidia tab
3. Browse for ROM
4. Click Flash

ATI:

1. Open Zeus
2. Select ATI tab
3. Select OS
4. Browse for ROM
5. Click Flash

HOW TO MAKE 4870 / 4890 ROM:

1. Install windows, or just boot from a Windows disk. Not VMware!

With the ati card inside, and drivers installed in windows

2. Download GPU-Z for windows

3. Click the icon next to BIOS VERSION. Save your firmware.

4. Send the firmware to your mac disk. Reboot OSX.

5. In Zeus, go Firmware, browse for the firmware, select card model

6. Click Apply!

Further reading:

The Golden Guide to Flashing Graphic Cards

That thread is a little old though!

As always... use on your own risk...
When will AMD GPU's be supported for overclocking?

smurfk1

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2007
4870 1 GB lost quartz with mountain lion

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/idea about a flashed 4870 not working under os 10.8.x? I have a couple of moving targets, unfortunately. First, I moved the video card from an old Mac Pro 1,1 to a newer Mac Pro 4,1. Second, I updated the new Mac to Mountain Lion from 10.6.8.

I always had some trouble with quartz and this card and used something called "10.6 CompletePatch" to resolve the quartz issue. It looks like this stuff in incompatible with 10.8 though, since after rebooting, it would hang on the apple screen forever. I reinstalled 10.8 and am once again struggling.

My card happens to be of the ZWFC variety, so I used Freya to download the XFX ZWFL/ZWFC [Mac] rom, but when I tried to ref lash using Zeus, it said it was the same rom and wouldn't let me proceed.

Any ideas what going wrong?

Cheers!

smurfk1

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2007
Thanks Cindori, I picked up a Sapphire 6870 yesterday. :) Will be flashing it soon.

Cheers!

canchume

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012

What is Zeus?

Zeus is a Mac GPU Flashing Tool. It can write a new firmware on to your graphic card.
But it can do much more then that. You can patch your drivers to add support for excotic cards,
install injectors by Netkas, and save the firmware from your Nvidia card.

Zeus is the replacement for ATI Flashing Tool.

New Features in Zeus:

Modify 4870 / 4890 firmware to add EFI
Disable Power Warning
Overclock some Nvidia cards

Download

You can find my blog at http://groths.org

Thanks

My thanks to specially, Netkas, Rominator and Pipomolo for providing with key elements in creation of this app.

My even more special thanks to Donaters, for without them the app would have stayed at ATI Flashing Tool 1.0

Donate
You can donate to Zeus and it makes me very happy.
[url=http://groths.org/zeus/donate.png]Image[/URL]

HOW TO FLASH:

Nvidia:

Flashing and Dumping Nvidia only works on the Nvidia card in the bottom slot. It's recommended not to use these functions with two Nvidia inside the computer.
1. Open Zeus
2. Select Nvidia tab
3. Browse for ROM
4. Click Flash

ATI:

1. Open Zeus
2. Select ATI tab
3. Select OS
4. Browse for ROM
5. Click Flash

HOW TO MAKE 4870 / 4890 ROM:

1. Install windows, or just boot from a Windows disk. Not VMware!

With the ati card inside, and drivers installed in windows

2. Download GPU-Z for windows

3. Click the icon next to BIOS VERSION. Save your firmware.

4. Send the firmware to your mac disk. Reboot OSX.

5. In Zeus, go Firmware, browse for the firmware, select card model

6. Click Apply!

Further reading:

The Golden Guide to Flashing Graphic Cards

That thread is a little old though!

As always... use on your own risk...

hey i have my first gen powerpc mac g5 and i want to flash my ati 9800 xt o get work how i do to make a flash like this one

Niggly

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Wirral
Definitive way to flash GTX570

Hey there,

I'm looking to flash an Nvidia GTX570 to allow boot screen and full bandwidth on the PCIe bus.

I am going to use 'm570-Chiou.rom', which would be the best method/util to use ??

Any instruction would be appreciated as my head is cabbaged with all the different info and out of date stuff !!

Nige

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Hey there,

I'm looking to flash an Nvidia GTX570 to allow boot screen and full bandwidth on the PCIe bus.

I am going to use 'm570-Chiou.rom', which would be the best method/util to use ??

Any instruction would be appreciated as my head is cabbaged with all the different info and out of date stuff !!

Nige

Any and all EFIs for GTX570 were written by us. Simple fact.

Various people are trying to profit from our work, sad little people.

Cindori can not answer questions about GTX570 because he knows nothing about it or how to write EFIs.

There is literally not a single GTX570 on the planet with a chip that can take our EFI file. So, as long as people are handing out our EFIs as the way to do this, you will have to solder on a larger chip.

This is why I have always stated that the release of our files publicly helps nobody but the other video card wannabes, no private individual can benefit unless they can solder SMC SOIC 8 EEPROMs.

TO flash your card with one of our EFIs, you need a new chip soldered on.

Last edited:

tjlazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Tacoma, WA USA
Just my observation over this whole issue. Why not still offer the rom for those of us that CAN solder? These wanna bees are already selling "your " EFI rom.

Netkas and others freely distribute their work for the community. It is nice you provide this service and most do not want to bother with trying to solder on the larger flash rom. So you will always get sales. And if you continue to state that you and Netkas developed this special ROM, any descent person will give you their business vs the low ball copy cat in Asia.

I highly doubt we would see a bunch more cards for sale if you did release it and you will get much more of a positive attitude and respect from people.

Last edited:

calvas

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013

GP-SE

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
Sorry, can you help me with this, because i'm already a little bit lost.

I've been working in my MacPro 3,1 with on Sapphire HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 PCIE
(this one http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1037&pid=1270&psn=&lid=1&leg=0 ) over the last year in mac os Lion.
Now i want to step forward to mountain lion... what should i do about the graphic card? and is there anyway to safely restore the boot screen under this card?

thanks!!!
1)put your card into a PC or boot to windows using Boot Camp.
2) download "GPU-Z" then use that to save your original BIOS.
3)install the card back into the mac, boot OSX.
4) join netkas forum, then download "RomCreator"
5)downooad "Zeus 2.3"

use RomCreator to add efi to your stock bios, then use Zeus 2.3 to flash the card in OSX.
6) Reboot.

I just did this 2 days ago, and everything is working great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.