Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youPhone

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I have run across some code and I don't think it is a correct approach, but I thought I would ask and see what other thinks.

Essentially, you have a class (MyClass) and a protocol (<MyClassDelegate>) and a protocol selector

Code:
MyClass *myClass = [[MyClass alloc] init];
[myClass setDelegate:self];

Code:
- (void) myClass:(MyClass*)thisMyClass myObject:(id)someObj
{
	[thisMyClass release];
}

It seems to me that dealloc should be called on my instance of MyClass as soon as it is released in the protocol method.

If there are any other calls after calling the protocol method within MyClass, then the app should crash I would think.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Based on what myClass is subclassed from, the setDelegate: may be doing a retain, which would possibly cause the later release to not dealloc the instance.

youPhone

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I guess I didn't make it clear enough. I've now seen this in more than one place.

Take this example:

Code:
- (void)imagePickerController:(UIImagePickerController *)picker didFinishPickingImage:(UIImage *)image editingInfo:(NSDictionary *)editingInfo 
{ 

[[picker parentViewController] dismissModalViewControllerAnimated:YES]; 
	[picker release];
}

Is it safe to release the picker inside its delegate protocol method?

Here's another example:
Code:
- (void) connectionDidFinishLoading:(NSURLConnection*)theConnection
{
	[theConnection release];
}

Is this safe?

youPhone

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not sure what NSURLConnection does, but UIImagePickerController sets up delegate as @property(nonatomic, assign)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I guess I didn't make it clear enough. I've now seen this in more than one place.

Take this example:

Code:
- (void)imagePickerController:(UIImagePickerController *)picker didFinishPickingImage:(UIImage *)image editingInfo:(NSDictionary *)editingInfo 
{ 

[[picker parentViewController] dismissModalViewControllerAnimated:YES]; 
	[picker release];
}

Is it safe to release the picker inside its delegate protocol method?

Here's another example:
Code:
- (void) connectionDidFinishLoading:(NSURLConnection*)theConnection
{
	[theConnection release];
}

Is this safe?
Yeah, they're both safe because they are being used in methods that are called when the program is finished dealing with those instances. I.E. didFinishPickingImage: and connectionDidFinishLoading:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.