releasing memory

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by buckuxc, Mar 3, 2005.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

I quit a few memory intensive programs, but my usage is still above normal. Is there anyway to release memory that may be stuck?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You don't need to do anything. The memory pages are released on a least-recently-used basis by the OS. There's no particular reason to release memory pages if there is free memory available, since you may start the same app up again or access the same data with another app. Let the OS do its job; it does it very well. BTW, all modern OS virtual memory systems, at least Unix varieties, work this way.

4. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Look, Mac OS will handle memory usage all by itself. Actually, the only limitation on how many programs can you use at the same time, is your CPU! I'm serious, memory management in OS Xin very good.

Now, as far as memory usage is concerned, you should know that as long as OS X finds available memory, it will allocate it entirely on all open programs, as long as it is unused. There is no reason to save memory, as long as you don't need it for another task!

Of course, If you open other programs that demand memory, the OS will draw unecessary memory allocated into other programs and will dynamically allocate it so that "every program is happy".

And one last thing, in OS X there is no memory that "is stuck". And also, no matter how many programs you open there is no way they will crash your computer because of memory lack. They may be extremely slow, they may close due to your computer's inability (although that has neverhappened to me) but they will never crash or destroy vital information in your hard disk.

PS. You must have used OS 9 for a VERY long time...

5. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Gee, I thought that's what I said, except with about 75% fewer words. I guess you were reiterating, right?

6. SkAlex macrumors member

This thread got me thinking...

so i tried opening the 30+ applications on my dock at the same time on my dual 2.5 G5 (2 gigs or ram)...handled surprisingly well

The only other real ram-stress test i've given my comp is when i tried to open about 50 2MB pictures in photoshop...pretty much just to impress my peecee friend. Worked perfectly. :p

7. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

That should have worked well; XP can't multi-task worth a crap.