Reliable inkjet printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by tayvens, May 3, 2004.

1. tayvens macrumors newbie

We are after a reliable inkjet printer. Our Canon S820 has a terminal case of banding. It will cost about as much as a new printer to replace the print head. Idealy we want something that will do nice postcard size photos. My wife also prints colour flyers for a music group she is part of, so the printer needs to be reliable (and economical if poss).

Are Canon printers known for banding problems?

I know this is not a Mac specific question but I know the Mac community have great wisdom. Any advice would be greatfully accepted.

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

i've had horrible banding problems on all the epsons i've had
    HP is really great only drawback is ink is slightly more expensive then Canon
    i got the 7660 photosmart now 130 does an excellent job on 4 by 6 photos 16 ppm in draft text it's a great printer

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

how about hp 5850 that connects via airport/rendesvouz (or ethernet or usb)?

4. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    another vote here for HP.

We just got a 1210(?) printer/copier/scanner with built-in card reader. I'm really impressed with the speed of the B&W printing and the quality of the color (when you use photo paper.....). Yes, the ink carts are expensive at Staples and the like, but they are also available at our local Costco and are significantly cheaper.

I like plugging in my CF card and making a proof sheet, then scanning the proof sheet to print a photo or two - slick, fast, easy, and not too shabby.

Best inkjet I've ever used.

MFK

(I still use a laser for my music stuff.....)

5. 3-22 macrumors regular

I don't know your price range, but have you given any thought to a color laser printer? They are becoming very economical for the home user, especially when you factor in the crazy prices of ink cartridges today.

Minolta has nice one, that can be found as low as $599 with a discount. I can't vouch for Mac compatibility, this is just one I was checking out.... It has USB and I think it works with OS X out of the box.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,109565,00.asp

6. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    if you are looking for a cheap replacement, there are a ton of brand new Epson Stylus C84 printers on eBay for cheap. Apple was giving them away for free (with mail in rebate and CPU purchase), so the market is flooded with them and you can get them for near half price.

7. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have had a number of Epson printers with no problems...