reliable web host??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Forevercoolin, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Forevercoolin macrumors newbie

Can someone please suggest a reliable web host?? My top choice is MediaTemple.net the only problem is they don’t offer enough disk space (150 megs) for the price. I don’t want to pay much more than $10 a month. My second choice is totalchoicehosting.com I just don’t know how reliable they are. Any help is much appreciated.

2. AaronKent macrumors newbie

3. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

ndctech.com - I've never had any problems. $2.95 to start out with no set-up fees. I run nearly a dozen sites with them.

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

I've been very happy with Neureal.com. Inexpensive, multi-domain hosting. No problems in nearly 2 years.

5. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

www.1and1.com

4.99 a month for - 500 MB web space - 50 POP3 accounts -5 GB/month bandwidth

i have had great experience with them.

6. kanker macrumors 6502

Powweb $7.77 a month, 650 email addresses, 1000MB space, 5GB transfer A DAY, and the out clause is straight forward. If you go with them, kevinanker.net referred you ;)

7. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

www.4ph.com

$60.00 a year (unix)
    unmetered bandwidth
    unlimited email (web and pop)
    tech support
    free domain registration
    unix with mysql

(there is also winnt accounts)

i have about 8 domains registered. i have two types of account metered and unmetered. the $60.00/year account (5/month) is pretty good. they are banking on the fact that you won't use a lot of bandwidth a month. i just use the unmetered for my email and personal site. they are on a good backbone and the unix servers are bsd. there might be some other, but both of the boxes i use are bsd. the techsupport there is awesome. the people know exactly what is up with mysql/php/apache and email problems. they have fast responses and they aren't the people that need to look through help manuals to find the answer.

8. adamjay macrumors 6502a

adamjay

smaller guy based in pontiac michigan..
    http://www.transmutagen.com/webhost.htm
    $18 a month 2GB storage. 20GB bandwidth.

i have 2 accounts with him, ultrafast server (i'm on cable and am usually downloading at 500kb/sec from the servers) tell him adam sent ya.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I second that recommendation. :)

10. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

all look good! but...

How important is multiple emails?

also what about how their server is connected to the internet...

Arent there terms like OC3 and T1 or T3 connections....

and how much transfer rate do you really need, its hard to tell, and if you go over the amount what happens....

oh and does it matter about NT servers or BSD or whatever, i dont see any osx servers?? whats up with that?

11. Forevercoolin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I'm going to make my decision tonight.

12. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

iPowerWeb (iPowerWeb.com)

I set up a client through them this morning and was so satisfied with their service that I transferred my domain to them this afternoon. You get 800 MB of storage, 400 emails, and more for $7.95 per month (1 year contract). I highly recommend them, they're a great company with great ratings by muliple companies.

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

everyone question you ask it depends on your perfereces and needs. most webhost are actually a big room connection to backbone probably using fiber. if its a big website host that also does serious co-location they will have multiple internet backbones connect with mutliple fiber wires, so you can have more than way internet connection into your website.

nt servers are there because it has frontpage abilities and runs all the .net and asp type stuff. bsd is there because it unix. there no is osx servers cause they are expensive. why get osx when all you clients will connect only web and terminal connections. plus the fact osx is basically a bsd kernel anways so you might as well go for cheaper especially if you are buying like servers in large quanities. that stuff adds up quick.
    hiring support plays into this soon. it is a lot easier to hirer a unix/nt administrator than to find ppl with nt/osx server expierenced admin.

14. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

For a Flash based web site, is there something that I should be looking for?

EG: Is unix server compatible with a Flash based server, or do I need to get on a NT box?

Things like that.. thanks SUPERBOVINE.

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Basic Flash files don't rely on any special server technology. It's only when you move up to things like Flash-based chat, using Flash Communication Server that the server needs to do anything special.

Flash Communication Server runs on Windows and Linux systems.

16. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

http://www.thrillhost.com/

Excellent service. For 11.95 you get 1000Mb,20GB Bandwith, unlimited domains and email.
    Excellent service, when ever i have a problem i get an email response from them in about 2-3 hours no matter what the time.

I ended up getting a great deal through them last year $10 for 3000mb, 30GB and unlimited domains. Have not dissapointed yet.