Religion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by davidc2182, Oct 7, 2002.

1. davidc2182 macrumors regular

I know everyone has their religious philosophy, etc. this is a forum for us monotheists sick and tired of all the BS in our religions, and for any others out there who feel like contributing. In my personal opinion i have evaluated nearly ever religious philosophy out there from buddism to shinto to wicca to satanism, to mainstream judaeo-christian faiths and its all hogwash. However I'm not an athiest for I believe that there has to be some kind of being responsible for us, i mean its hard to believe we are alone in the universe, and that our existence is random amino acids bumping together billions of years ago. So i treated myself as an agnostic, but I had a paradigm shift the other day, I realized exactly what I am I'm a jedi, not as in the good jedi versus the evil sith, but the whole idea, everything in the universe has a divine energy running through it, all interconnected like an internet of sorts, there are the good, the bad and the grey, which is where I believe most people are. The bad would be any people who try to control the world and think they are right at all costs, ahem bill gates ahem, the good would be the people in the world trying to help the poor and sick, working on cures for diseases and towards ending world poverty and hunger, its completley unnessecary for people to be dying of preventable disease and hunger in this world when there are those that are so rich. Then there are the greys those still trying to discover who they are and balance themselves. What do y'all think?

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

It's wonderful to hear when someone finds this on there own. The power is everything and everywhere. You can feal, hear, smell, see, and taste it all you have to do is open your mind. It doesn't control us it simply guides us and some of us more then others.:)

3. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

4. Dr. Distortion macrumors regular

Good God, this isn't going to be yet another 20-page retarded religious flamewar is it? I sincerely hope not. :)

-Dr. D.

5. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

Shorely the best way to choose a religon is which has been around the longest and which ideals you beleave in. For example Islam has only been around for around 1500 years and believes that their will be a war and all the non muslims will be wiped out. Christains and Jewish people believe that GOD will judge the world at the end of time, all those who do evil will go to hell.

Anyway it is the person choosing the religon that will lose out in the end not GOD or whatever force you believe in. If you choose wrong then you will go to hell. If you believe there is no god, then those people in religons will have wasted their whole lives believing something that is not real. So in the end it is you that will lose out.

6. dnte42 macrumors regular

Well, when you put it that way, we're all screwed...:eek:

7. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

Surely not shorely

Islam does not say that its followers should go out and wage war against all of those who do not subscribe to their beliefs. That is almost the opposite of what Islam says. It is the 'fundamentalists' ,who are in actuality radicals not fundamentalists, who believe that those who follow other religions should be wiped out. They use their religion to make war against those they do not like even though to do so goes against the seven pillars of Islamic faith.

I tend to subscribe to agnosticism rather than organized religion.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, what's that?

You talking about Judaism ?

9. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Religion Thread

It was brilliant how you wrote about Judeo-Christian faiths being hogwash and then segued right into "interconnected divine energy" and "greys" and "balance." Brilliant. :)

10. davidc2182 thread starter macrumors regular

umm actually jews don't believe in hell or any form of it, they believe in a wierd form of purgatory called g'henem, but thats as far as it goes, and there is also a maximum time frame of 30 days to be spend in their version of purgatory.

11. davidc2182 thread starter macrumors regular

Re: Re: Religion Thread

alex_ant was that a sarcastic retort? because if you like i can further explain my reasoning.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's not true about christians and jews. at least not all of them. and based on your last paragraph, you believe that there is a "right" religion and that those who choose the "wrong" ones are screwed..

as a catholic, i don't think only catholics, or christians, are saved. i believe in god's mercy and thus, anyone can be saved. and in my opinion, they don't even have to say "jesus saves" or something. it's based on god's mercy for everyone. as, few/no one is really deserving of it... in that we all sin.

anyhoo. you should read up on religions (apparently islam as well, which i'm not as familiar with) before you make broad generalizations about them.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Re: Religion Thread

alex may be the toughest guy on here to read. even when he agrees with you he makes it tough to tell.... ha

14. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Re: Re: Re: Religion Thread

No way dude, I loved it! It was perfect! I'm being serious.

15. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Recovering

I'm a Recovering Cathoholic (or simply an RC). Like many addictions this is a life long chronic disease. Take it from me, I'm an RC.

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

This got moved becuase its not a current event, try to remember where you're posting and read the guidelines for the forum.

D

17. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

What I was trying to say was that if you choose the wrong religon then your screwed, so if you believe all go to heaven and that turns out to be wrong, then you are screwed. More thought needs to go into choosing a religon. Also remember not all religons believe being 'good' is the best way to be. People who worship the devil believe that being all things anti-christain is the best thing to do.

Also anyone who is saying that the muslim holly book (cant spell it) does not say their will be a massive war between muslims and non-muslims has not read their holly book. I have studied offer religons and know what I am talking about. There are lots of things that disprove other religons as well. For example, one of the Africian religons (I think voodoo) says that the earth is the centre of the universe. Islam also say that there are no life on other planets, so if we meet Aliens Islam will turn out to be wrong.

18. dnte42 macrumors regular

Genesis says that the earth was created in six days. So what if the earth wasn't? That disproves Christianity, right? Wrong. These kinds of things must be read into. Genesis is a very poetic kind of book, and the six-day creation is hardly the most important point in the two books, assuming it was ever meant to be taken literally. I don't know about your examples, but they sound much the same. Be very careful before jumping to such rash (illogical) conclusions please. Or, rather, explain them more fully.

19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ok, I hate getting involved in these discussions, but this is ridiculous. Whether you realize it or not, religion is more of a personal relationship with you and your God rather than with any one group or faith. To say that you have to be careful and choose the right one is silly. What's the right one? If there was one that was better than all the rest, that would be one thing, but there really isn't, it all personal preference.

All religions have go through changes, readjusting themselves for the times they live in. If aliens came to earth wouldn't it mean that the Koran was wrong and therefore the religion false. Look at the Catholic church and Galileo - they had no choice but to accept it eventually.

One thing about aliens and public revalation that they exsist is that it will change every one in some way. They'll have a far great base of knowledge that we will be exposed to - including how many other alien races they know. This will throw a wrench in all religions - regardless. God made man in his image? What if there was a race of beings that was around 1 Billion years before our planet was born? What about their religions? Is there room for alien religions in our world?

I don't think the human race is capable right now of dealing with all the questions and problems alien contact will present us with. We need to grow up a little more.

20. davidc2182 thread starter macrumors regular

:)

dnte42, i wouldnt think of it as poetic but more as oversimplified, all religious texts were written by humans and back then people weren't as intelligent as the lay man is now, so they needed to put it on a level where everyone would get it, yet still be interesting to attract people to the faith. ah yes and Christ he was awesome, and as for him being the son of G-d, its true, its true, however its also true that we are all the "children" of G-d and if G-d is the creator of everything, then he cannot condemn you for doing "evil" cuz it doesn't really exist, its a part of our social construct, and it makes life harder, but G-d loves everyone just the same, even hitler, binladen, saddam, stalin, bill gates, ted waitt, and mikey dell. do ya get me?

hey duke i thought this was relevant as current events seeing as the whole world is freaking out about the war with iraq and how its anti islam, they even had a tent on our campus from the green party saying stop the war in iraq, i'm surprised the rotc people didnt stone them, i understand the concept of free speech and all, but if dubya wants a war and has proof that saddam is a "baaaad man" then let him have his war, like we could stop him anyway right? and all i gotta say to those people who are against american action in iraq for disarming and regime change, what the heck is wrong with y'all do you want another sept. 11? i'm not saying that this is a good solution but seeing as no world leader is willing to take care of the bigger issues, this is the only solution left to the US of A and I for one just might enlist if I can get into shape, maybe it'll give me direction in my life.

now onto hvfsl, islam does say that when people are judged if they do not believe in islam they will goto hell and such, however it also allows for the possibility of other religions it doesnt claim to be the ultimate final word, just saying you must submit to the will of the big G.Diddy (i'm going to get struck by lightening for that one) so in essence jews, and christians all denominations are technically saved, and my favorite view on this is, if your a religious nutcase or just a normal religios person, you goto heaven and if you get to ask G-d 1 question its, was I the right religion? G-d slaps his proverbial forehead and says stupid humans I gave them a simple framework to live their life by and they took it and ran and never looked back. Explanation: 10 commandments or 10 reccomenadations? blah bad spelling, anyway if you kill someone, G-d doesn't strike you dead instantly, he leaves your fellow man to deal with you, if you get caught, and if you don't then u gotta have ur conscience to deal with. but he left clues to the individual, blood, fingerprints, forensic evidence, etc. adultery, you don't just die for it, but you run the risk of being caught and ruining ur marriage, etc., does anyone get this? and one other thing Satanists do not worship Satan, sheeesh i used to be involved in the movement, all they do is indulge in the carnal delights of the flesh, basically do what you like and screw everyone else, all that anti christian stuff is just to freak people out. It's the ultimate selfish religion, kinda like scientology :D

ok who used jewism? come on even though I dont consider myself jewish anymore at least have the decency to call the religion by its name, lets not be disrespectful peoples.

edvniow congrats on being a pagan, i tried that, found it wasn't for moi.

basically what i'm trying to say is do whats right for you, believe what you think is correct, if you live a happy and prosperous life and have no regrets it doesn't matter what religios philosophy you subscribe to. Just be u, and try not to murder people :) i personally view the act of murder and rape as giving up your human rights and that allows a human justice system to sentence death, however any of the other things, the justice system really need not lock people up for anything else, because most things take care of themselves, enough ranting and raving for now, discuss kiddies discuss, i gotta read my web design manual.

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: :)

did you read the instructions for submission in that forum? You should go take a look.

D

22. davidc2182 thread starter macrumors regular

true duke

i agree with everything duke just posted, totally do, however there are some people who are ready to meet aliens, it's just that if we are ever to join the cosmos as a race we cannot go out there with the bloodthirsty common human mindset, until our little ball of mud comes to terms with its evils and cures most things that cause humans to suffer, we will never be ready.

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

come on, don't make this political... it doesn't need to be, and shouldn't be.

so discuss what you think bush should do elsewhere...

24. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I would like to know where you studied religion. Islam does not say that all of its followers should go out and try to destroy those who do not follow its doctrine. Islam does not permit or promote terrorism. _The Koran says:

_God does not forbid you from showing kindness and dealing justly with those who have not fought you about religion and have not driven you out of your homes. _God loves just dealers._ (Quran, 60:8)

Mohammed said that killing is the second greatest sin and in no way called for the killing of innocents (women and children). It is only the radical muslims who believe that that is alright. I have read many parts of the Koran (Qu'ran) and it does not call for a 'massive war between muslims and non-muslims'. Islam, like most religions, teaches that it is the right religion, but it calls for conversion of people through preeching and learning not by way of killing.

In what way does the Koran say that there is no life on other planets, is it an explicit claim in the Koran or someone's interpretation. I have never seen any such claim and cannot believe that a religion concerned itself with the idea of aliens fourteen hundred years ago.

"holy" has only one 'l' and its religion not religon