Religious Food Restrictions...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I was just wondering who here observes dietary restrictions placed on you by your religion. .....

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Not really, my religion would only be concerned with cruelty to animals during slaughter or abuse of the earth during crop-growing... but no real restrictions. that's one of the things that i just can't understand about religion... to me, religious fasting is like letting your car run out of gas to honor Ford. And before anyone starts, i do understand why people fast, symbolically. Just not logically.

paul

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm catholic and i observe the fasting as well

i happen to be vegetarian, so the abstaining is slightly less difficult for me. :)

right now though, i'm pretty stinking hungry. hah

so, what are you giving up for lent? ;) i think i'm doing away with soda... last year was popcorn, but that was really rough on me... hah. though, popcorn without soda just isn't the same... hmmmmmm

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i know back in the philippines its very widely practiced to fast on ash wednesday

5. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Mormon: No coffee, tea (green/black; herbal's okay), alcohol, or tobacco. Pot, however... ;)

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hm i was raised catholic...(at least my mother tried)
    but i don't mind about these things just an ordinary day for me
    i ate pizza today .. i wouldn't have minded to eat meat

mym other/grand parents are making fish more often until eastern but thats it..

i never minded much about religious things ... i wasn't in a church for perhaps 5 years and i dont't miss anything

here in austria i don't know anybody @ my age (20-23) who really cares.. but older people (born shortly after WW2) are going more often to church etc.
    it's pretty much a generation thing over here

7. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

8. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I kind of agree. I've never really liked it. But I think logical reasons for it would be along the lines of learning self control and of using it as a means of meditation--depriving oneself of something requires mental discipline and focus that can ostensibly bring you closer to God. Furthermore, although even my religion embraces the physical realm (food, sex, etc.) as blessings rather than curses or necessary evils, there is still the idea that occasional fasting, removing yourself from physical appetites, is liberating and helps you refocus on spiritual matters.

I know when I fast, I am more appreciative of the plenty I have been given.

9. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

"Eat no lima beans, for they are of the devil."

Book of Fred, Chapter 4, verse 21.