Religious Freedom in Iran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by nbs2, Jul 30, 2006.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Not central to this article, but an interesting point nonetheless. I'll take AP at its word.

Apparently, other than the obligation to follow Sharia in social interaction, there is generally religious freedom in Iran. I was just thinking about how this compares with a lot of other countries that we take for granted as being free. Compared with French restrictions on religious garb, the Iranian position is not that abnormal. With "no restrictions on religious practices," the Persian government seems much more tolerant than the Israeli (I may be wrong - Israel is kind of weird on what they do and don't allow)....

Are we (the West) maybe just a little too quick to judge all of Iran?

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I have a Christian friend who emigrated from Iran. He said it was very hard for them there. They like it better here, but he made a comment about being worried we were headed down the same paths toward religious fundamentalism.

He did say it was a lot different there than is being portrayed.

3. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5217424.stm

4. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I suppose it depends on how you regard religious freedom. All the religious minorities face difficulties in Iran, though most are allowed to practice their faith. A Muslim who changes to another religion faces charges of apostasy and the death penalty. The majority of the religious persecution is aimed at the Baha'is, who are Iran's largest religious minority, and who have no rights whatsoever. Have a look.

There has been another wave of international pressure on Iran over the Baha'is this year over this.

5. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

from the link...

"Islamic leaders in Iran and elsewhere have long viewed the Bahá'í Faith as a threat to Islam and have branded the Bahá'ís as heretics. The progressive stands of the Faith on women's rights, independent investigation of truth, and education have particularly rankled Muslim clerics."

Womens's rights? independant investigation of truth? education? No wonder the Iranian mullahs allow the Baha'is their "religious freedom".

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

When will people wake up and realize that religion is the problem, not the solution? It's merely control, nothing else.

That said, you can believe what you want as long as you don't force it on others.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

As per my new favorite slogan: Religion is the enemy of God. Profound and catchy. Is it me, or are these people just hiding behind religion to control the citizenry? Sadly, it's an effective tool, as we've seen here in the States to a lesser degree. Sometimes I think people forget that religious freedom means freedom for all religions. Or a lack thereof.