Religious group plans for South Carolina government takeover

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

The Statesville Record & Landmark of Statesville, NC, Oct 17, 2005. I saw a segment on this group on the Daily Show awhile back, so this may have already been discussed. I searched and found nothing.

---------

GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) -- Fewer than 100 people gathered in the Upstate this weekend to learn about a group that wants to create a government in South Carolina based on the Bible.

"Christian Exodus" organizers say they want to have 70,000 people relocated to the state by 2016. With those numbers, like-minded people could take over the government.

Movement founder Cory Burnell said at Saturday's meeting that such a new state government could require people to own property before they could vote and determine whether the 14th, 16th and 17th amendments to the U.S. Constitution were "ratified properly, and it not, put them up for proper ratification."

Those amendments guarantee voting and civil rights for freed slaves, establish the income tax system and call for popular election of the U.S. Senate.

Burnell said he chose South Carolina for the first phase of his movement because there already were many people here likely to agree with his organization's goals.

So far, he said, 14 adults and 20 children have relocated to Christian Exodus' two target counties, which he would not identify.

"In 2008, we'd like to complete our first phase and what we'd consider a success there is a majority on the county councils and county sheriff," Burnell said. "City council would be a bonus. School boards would be a bonus. If we felt we had enough support, we'd move on to another phase where we'd select another county."

Burnell, who lives with his wife and two children in California where he works as a financial advisor, has visited the states three times and spent a total of about two weeks here.

Ninety-four people registered for the convention, but only about 50 adults sat in on various meetings at any one time at the suburban hotel, organizers said.

Several young families were present, including Troy and Charlotte Perdue from Halifax, Va., who brought their seven children to learn more about the organization.

"I learned a lot," Charlotte Perdue said of the speakers. "The basic thing that sticks in my mind is that I've been gypped by the school system."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, only in Jesusland. Are these people for real? Let them have it, and see what happens. :rolleyes:

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, that'll withstand a federal trial :rolleyes:

3. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

oh man. Nice to know when I go crazy I won't be the looniest one in the bin.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I live in S.C. it was taken over last century.........................not much has changed ,these guys are just late to the party.

5. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Yeah, 94 people, sounds like he has a large following....and this got press why?

6. tristan macrumors 6502a

In my country, you'll have to own a Mac to vote. :)

This is the christian conservative agenda, influencing government, but they're usually not dumb enough to come right out and say that they want to take over.

7. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I say we let them secede. Again.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Not only to influence government, but to revisit whether non-landowners can vote and civil rights for 'slaves' (read contemporary minorities).

That's not Christianity. That's hate. And elitism.

9. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Which pretty much sums up the conservative right.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed, Just think how much further along this country would be politically and socially without them.

11. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

This is new news? Utah already works along these lines. Only crazy. Because it's Mormons.

EDIT: I was born and raised Mormon, so I reserve the right to make fun of them all I like. No offense, really, but Mormonism is wacky.

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I thought they were the ones who got into heaven...according to the prophets at Southpark.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ya think? Mormon guys are cute though. :) Oops- wrong thread! :D

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is it for the same reasons as Catholic girls? :p

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep. It's their suits too. :)

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, they should really go to Oregon. It needs more people like that.

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Because the liberal media is out to get Christians. :p Seriously though, because they're attention whores and want the publicity for their "cause". I'd say good luck with that, but the way things are headed, they might succeed. :( Moderate Christians beware.

18. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Welcome to the Second Coming of the Dark Ages.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I prefer the term "neogothazoic."

And, yes, those people are scary nut jobs.

Lethal

21. mac-er macrumors 65816

I'd like to point out that this guy is NOT from the South. He is from California.

And, yea, Burnell, I really think the Federal Gov't would allow SC to try and violate the constitution.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Southern California. :D Maybe, Sunset Blvd. where anything and everything used to happen?

23. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

This story is pretty old. I first heard of the 'exodus' when there were only 2 or 3 families.

As someone who has had two cousins 'graduate' from Bob Jones Uni. and one close family member is a principle of BJ Elementary I know the crazies!

If you want to visit South Carolina, please come to Charleston.
    Democratic Mayor since '75! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.