Religious Racism in Sport - Why should this be tolerated?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mpw, Nov 9, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

I read this article today and wondered whether Hamed should be allowed a professional boxing license if he's going to say, basically, that it's OK to beat-up on Christians, Jews etc. but not Muslims.
    Does he see boxing as a sport or just an opportunity to beat people of other religions up legally and for cash?

Would a white boxer get away with saying he'd only ever fight black guys or vice-versa?

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't know about disallowed from the ring, but if you are unable or unwilling to fight certain people you'll never make it far.

And honestly it sounds like the guy doesn't want to have to throw down with an opponent not much more than half his age and risk his comeback...

Boxing is so one-dimensional. Muy Thai kickboxing is where it's at. ;)

3. tristan macrumors 6502a

If you want to beat up people legally, join the New Orleans PD. ;)

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

or the CIA

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

funny, i boxed for the very first time this afternoon. my hapkido-trained self kept wanting to throw kicks in there.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Three minutes never seems like that long until you step into the ring, eh? :p

7. mpw thread starter Guest

I can never last a full three minutes in the ring.

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Your poor girlfriend.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Christ, I did a couple of three-round fights for fun with some fellow trainees -- I barely made it, the last round was like a blur. The only thing that saved me was that the other guys weren't faring much better. Our instructor was refereeing though, so I was pretty determined to go down swinging.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

TMI
    :eek:

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're a filty bugger today aren't you? Get out of that gutter!

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

what i did was nowhere near that, simply putting on gloves and working w/ a trainer. just one part of a larger workout. i opted for the boxing, seeing as how tired i am of the treadmill and stationary bike.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I used to hit the heavy bag five days a week with vevry thin training gloves. Two minute rounds, 1 minute rest, then repeat for at least a half hour. I did this for about a year.

My knuckles are still like rock; I can punch the **** out of anything without pain. Of course, to get them to that status certainly did cause lots of pain (and sprains and bleeding).

For as exhausting as the heavy bag can be the speed bag is the truly tricky one. I have tremendous respect for boxers. It's something that really takes everything out of your body.

And that's before you start getting hit in the face.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh you think you're tough! :p
    [​IMG]
    This guy hit an iron block on the order of 1000 times a day until the bone grew through his skin. The style is called iron fist, and the idea is to punch your opponent's hands to shatter them. A punch to the head would kill you!