Reliving Myst

Discussion in 'Games' started by yippy, May 23, 2005.

1. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Alright so I got a copy of the original Myst for Macintosh at a garage sale for $1. Anyway, I installed it just fine and can play it in classic mode without a problem (can't boot to 9 :( ). The only problem is I can't save. When I do, as soon as I pick a file name and location, it asks me to locate the save file, which isn't there. For some reason it doesn't seem to be creating the save file to save to. Anyone have any advice or insight?

If I can't get this to work, do you think it would be fine to start with Riven, or is Myst better?

Thanks

2. neonart macrumors 65816

neonart

Buy Real Myst for about $20 and enjoy the game, 3D graphics, and you can save your files too!

(I know thats not really a fix, but you may enjoy the game more this way.)

:p

3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Actually, I have played all Myst series (apart from myst1). And I can tell you that every game is different in its own way. You should buy Riven, and Myst 3 if you liked Myst 1, even if it was for a little

4. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Plus you get an extra age (Rime). Not the most extensive age ever, but it's a nice little bonus, and it makes the beginning of Myst IV make more sense. (Atrus says something about "I'm sure you remember my crystal viewer," which you wouldn't unless you played RealMyst and not just Myst. He also mentions Rime.)

--Eric

5. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

I don't really want to spend money because I just want to play in my free time, nothing serious. I asked these questions because I just got the original Myst and Riven for $2 at a garage sale, so I already have them.

6. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Yes, RealMyst is great. I wish the later Myst games were done the same way, actually. X-friendly you can probably find it cheap.

Failing that, I'm sure there are story summaries online to catch you up.

Or just don't Quit, and then (if Classic never crashes) you won't need to save :) Command-Tab out of the game when you want to do other stuff, but leave it running. That works with most Classic games, I find.

You can't really make a fatal mistake in Myst (well... not for MOST of the story) so saving is less important than in some games where you die every 30 seconds.

7. benbondu macrumors regular

why don't you play it on your 6500?

Another option besides getting RealMyst is to get Myst Masterpiece. I ran that with classic mode and was able to save fine. Myst Masterpiece is most easily found in the Myst 10th anniversary trilogy with DVDs of Riven and Exile. I got one last year off eBay for $10. (I just did a search and it's still being sold for $10-12 shipped. There are standalone copies of Myst Masterpiece, but I'm not certain they're hybrid. The 10th anniversary 3-pack definately works on Mac.)

If you want to play Riven or Exile, I highly recommend getting the DVDs. CD swapping in Riven is horrible, and only slightly improved in Exile.

By the way, I think Riven is the best game in the series. Myst was groundbreaking, but Riven was a work of art. Exile took a step backward.

You can play Riven without playing Myst. The story is self-supporting. Be prepared for a lot of CD switching though.

8. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

what directory are you saving them in? have you tried to save it in the same folder as myst? or maybe in your osx user folder.

9. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

Thanks guys. I tried saving in the Myst files folder as well as in my documents folder. I may have to just never close Myst, how long does it take?

In the mean time I have started Riven, you were right about the CD swapping, so I have time to figure this out.

edit: About the 6500, I considered that but it is boxed up in a back room and I don't really have anywhere to put it. I would prefer not dragging it out just to play one computer game, but I might if I have to.

10. benbondu macrumors regular

One of the great things about Myst is that it's not at all linear. The game could be broken into 5-6 parts that take a couple hours each. Each of these parts can be started from the beginning of the game.

To get the full experience you should probably complete the whole game on one save file before going to the ending. But most of the time spent with Myst is thinking. After you've completed an area and written everything down then you can go through it again in about 15-20 min.

It's very conceivable that you could keep the game running for 3-4 hours at a time as you explore each area, then have one final run of 3-4 hours of gameplay where you go back through everything and head to the end.

If you know the secrets, you can reach the end of the game from the beginning in about 15 min.

11. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

I figured it out!!!

Myst doesn't like the Mac OS Extended/Journaled file system. I formated my pen drive to Mac OS Standard and Myst saves and loads to it just fine. So if anyone is having problems with an old game, try running it off of a Mac OS Standard formated drive.

12. benbondu macrumors regular

Very nice. I'll have to remember that one. I guess Myst really is that old.

13. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

I ogt Riven back in 97 when I was like 6. I still love and and I still hate it because it's sooooooooo hard...or is it?

14. yippy thread starter macrumors 68020

yippy

Have you beaten Riven? It seems to me that once you beat it once it would be easy, but maybe not.

15. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

I found the original Myst to be very hard because I over thought it. For example, the elevator puzzle got me for HOURS. I simply thought there must be more to it. I tried every combination of touching those glowing things in the other room. (like sculpture, art or big crystals or whatever they are) On the other hand, some of the puzzles were easy to me (the "dentist chair" puzzle seemed easy to me, as well as the very high tree, the clock on the water, and some others I can't remember) Most required me to write everything down and think about it. It easily took me close to 100 hours to finish (heck, just reading all the journals and taking notes out of them seemed to take hours). I was so enamered with the game that I literally felt like I was in that world. There has not yet been a better game experience for me.

I played Myst before there was easily accessible internet walkthroughs. If you REALLY want to enjoy the game, do NOT use a walkthrough. Only get help if you are really, really, really stuck. Often times the answer will hit you after thinking about it a long while. Then you feel silly for not seeing it before.

Riven and Exile I enjoyed very much, but Riven I found extremely difficult, and Exile not as much fun as Myst. Myst was perfect.

I just bought MystIV off ebay, but my computer won't play it! My video card won't support it, so I've just bought a Radeon 7000 off ebay in the hopes that that will work.