Reloading Software to New iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by djlu, Jan 28, 2005.

1. djlu macrumors member

I have purchased a new iMac after my fatihful blue G4 suddenly went kaput. Now for the real problem. I do not have a proper backup of application software so I cannot restore it.

How can I install software versions which search for upgrades?

My first version of Mac Office is close to 10 years old.
    My first version of Filemaker is File Maker 3.
    Dreamweaver is also an early release.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Doug Lu

2. Bear macrumors G3

In truth, it is probably time to bite the bullet and pay for new versions of software (or pay for the upgrade, but I don't think any of the software listed will upgrade from versions that old - especially if they aren't installed on the machine.

3. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

If you can still use the HD, try Carbon Copy Cloner, to clone the old hd to your new hd (apps and all).

4. Bear macrumors G3

That only works if the person is running a new enough version of Mac OS X.

5. djlu thread starter macrumors member

All the upgrades I have are paid for. The problem is that I probably wouldn't be able to load the original software anymore to put all the upgrades on top of and I'm sure some of these are probably on floppies that are unreadable or I have lost the original keys for.

Doug

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

(paid) upgrade versions of office came on new CDRoms that had the full version, so just use that. No need to start with Word 4.0 and build up from there. Just put in your most recent version of office. If your most recent version if Office 97 (or 98, whichever), time to buy Office: Mac 2004. Just get the upgrade version for $250.